DFO's Fraser Chinook Conservation Strategy

I agree that ultimately it is a public relations issue but I don’t think we can win it. The FN’s have the most powerful political lobby in Canada and huge tax dollars for lawyers, PR people and consultants. In the public mind and that of the courts, they are only catching a few fish for eating over the winter, so what’s wrong with that. There is a total disconnect between that image and the reality and scope of what has been actually happening with the lower Fraser river net fishery. Still in this age of cell phone cameras it would be useful to have some pictures and video.
It is not difficult to have empathy for the upper Fraser and tributary Bands who are only seeing a few fish retuning to spawn, especially since they generally fish responsibly and use selective fishing methods such as dip nets. It must be frustrating for them to know that their fish are being slaughter trying to get by the wall of indiscriminate nets in the lower Fraser. It also seems to me that the lower Fraser Bands have been successful in deflecting responsibility for the problem off of themselves and onto sport fishing in area 19 and 20. That area 19 and 20 sport fishing has little impact on the stocks of concerns because of the original slot restriction is not a concern. The extension of the slot restriction and additional retention restrictions and boundary extension was unnecessary from a conservation perspective and only makes sense from a political perspective. We know the impact of the Fraser nets is huge and has been the single largest impact on the stocks of concern, especially if one discounts habitat degradation and water leases in the River valleys. I doubt anyone knows the true extent of it and from DFO’s perspective, since they really can’t do anything about it, it is probably better not to know.

I agree with most points made, but the lower bands argue we will fish because they (us) are fishing. The FN have access to the fish 2nd in line, not first. If conservation (#1) is an issue they are not excluded from measures in dire situations. If they were then what is the point in even having conservation on the books. I still say call their bluff and hope they work with us to restore habitat and water to the upper Fraser.

Craven, this is about putting them in an awkward position and using their own intimidation tactics against them. I think they would continue to fish, but would also be more restrained in attacking our group.

quote:Originally posted by profisher

Craven, this is about putting them in an awkward position and using their own intimidation tactics against them. I think they would continue to fish, but would also be more restrained in attacking our group.

I understand where you are coming from Pro, however if they choose to go ahead and fish, so what ??
The CO'S write them a ticket that they don't have to pay and they go fishing again.
It may gather some bad press but i doubt "joe public" would side with the sportie's over a FN "food fishery"
Meanwhile our boats are parked because we can't break the law.

Not quite accurate, its not that the public is deciding for FN over sporties...it is FN or the extinction of some Fraser salmon runs. This strategy sits us on the side of the fish, (where the public will ultimately side if you have those 2 choices)we can't loose.

It's very simple and straight forward for FN: first they catch all the fish they can get a hold on and if the fish are all but gone then they will sue the government for $ compensation for not providing the treaty-promised fish to them. Nothing to lose from their point of view I'd say. Except for the ones who truy care about the existence of the Pacific Salmon - and there is a good number of them among the FN as well - I have seen several thousands a few weeks ago at the salmon demonstration in Victoria. Funny, I saw very few of you out there showing that you care...hmmm... I guess halibut fishing that day was more important to you. Maybe that's what we deserve then...

I was there too Chris and like you I was very disappointed that more sports fishermen did not take the time to attend. It was the perfect venue for all of us to show the powers that be how important wild salmon are to British Columbians. It truly could have been a monumental demonstration by all parties but unfortunately it was marginalized by the news media and swept under the carpet. And now instead of putting our money where our mouths are we all sit around and whine on this forum pointing the finger at each other and the government. Personally I am convinced that nothing short of a monumental change in the way wild salmon is managed will save them from the brink of extinction. In the late 1950s the Alaskan salmon fishery stood on the brink of extinction as the Fraser River does today. It is my belief that nothing short of following their example to save our fishery will suffice. For those of you not familiar with the history of the Alaskan salmon fishery I have included the link below which is by no means exhaustive but nonetheless a good place to start.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_salmon_fishery#cite_note-NOAA_2002-5

Chris you are bang on, the vast majority of sporties are more concerned about their fishing opportunities than they are about the fish. Sound familiar? As soon as everyone gets this wrapped around their heads the better...no fish = no fishing. Fish first, us and them after. If everyone was as passionate about saving fish as catching them there would be a positive outcome in the end.

Forgot to mention that the links at the bottom of the page under
reference are most important.

quote:Originally posted by MILLERTIME

Forgot to mention that the links at the bottom of the page under
reference are most important.

That's okay, I think I'll take back my previous statements about working it out with them... how about this? As I stated before... The First Nations or bands of the Sto:lo Tribal Council are "NOT" treaty Indians. The part that concerns, is they are now NOT planing on signing any treaty at this time - They consider themselves a soverign nation "NOT" under anyones 'govern', including Canada and I quote, "We were never conquered and we have never surrendered the right to govern or be stewards of our traditional territories". And, they are claiming those rights under the "British" The Proclamation of 1763, which Canada agreed to abid, but they are stating they don't want to be a part of? AND "THEY" STOP TREATY AND NOGIATIONS! Complicated - to say the least. They very much are playing both sides.

Now that also makes then non-treaty and non-status Indians. So, basically the Proclamation gives the right to fish on 'their' lands only without interference from BC or Canada. No Treaty - No Status! But, at least Canada does recognize them as Canadian, whicle they don't recogize Canada - complicated enough, yet?

FYI we had a sovereign nation try that. It was right after that thing called the Alamo, Texas revolution. Once independent, they also told the U.S. they didn't want to be a part of it.... what did the U.S. do (after sending all the previous aid to them)- Okay, you're on your own NO MORE AID! Shortly after, when Texas went broke, guess what - they became a state!

So, thinking of that... may I ask? If they (just as Texas) don't recogize being under Canada - why in the world has Canada given them $17,893,233.00, since March of 2009... and then Cheam Indian Band received $2,658,271.00 on top of that? I didn't look the others up, but what are you thinking? Yep... I am confused, again? If they insist on living and doing it on their own... Let them! Just don't pay them anymore! [}:)]

When is wolfy getting some of those stickers Rob?
I believe we should all have a limited right to the fish but what a joke! [xx(]
Hopefully the stocks of concern are where they need to be I guess.

Better yet did you have any flags made?

quote:Originally posted by UNKNOWN

Just swing by and I will install it on your back window or boat for no charge at all[FREE]

Maybe if you talk sweet Nog will forward me the art and I will get a second run done[???].

R.
LOL....Nog will probably get ya the hook up to do it too.... but does he want to get in on doing it a again.. I am not too sure :D
I am in need of 2 stickers (as the wife wants one on her truck too)..... and Wolf I'll install them myself :D
If you do another round of the T's I will gladly help with the South Island distribution... again.

(mind you he was doing it off a lot of boards to get the #'s right for the price)

If it makes you feel any better Smiley, this confirms there was somewhere towards zero conservation issue behind the imposition and extension of the JDF slot limit. It was entirely tactical ... strong arming the charter guys to have to provide the log books to give DFO better data. No books, no fishing. And it worked.

If you want a positive spin on it, DFO got the info they are looking for, so there should not be a need for artificial bans like this year. And with better info, they should be able to make better quality decisions.

Because contrary to popular belief, I think the people who work at DFO want to do a good job. Most of us know some individuals who work there, and these people are neither incompetent or uncaring. It is the leadership of the organization that is questionable (politicians), and those mixed up priorities percolate throughout, right down to operations level. In any case, better quality data should help them to make the right call, at least as far as fishing in JDF goes.

If the fish are in trouble, I think we agree the entire sector needs to band together and conserve. All anglers care about the resource, we want our grandchildren to fish salmon too. But hopefully no more silly/false/artificial/politically driven "conservation measures" like this year. JDF has done its pawn duty in this little chess match ... I hope we can now move on!

X 2 on the DFO "target" represented by T's and stickers. It is not</u> the man or woman working in the field that is the problem. They are dedicated and hard working. It is the political leadership that is the target and the problem. If they based their decisions on science and protection/conservation, methinks there would be no issue. Sadly, the "leadership" (term loosely applied) has learned nothing from their long string of debacles.

Too much water, too little time

This one over/one under reg is ludicrous, I would think most would simply quit fishing once they had one over 67cm.rather than throw back 20 lb'ers in search of a 7 lb fish.
Makes no sense ??
:(

Thats what I meant by the 2 springs only one wild over 67, If I got the hatch first I would continue. The wild first I would probably pull the plug

Fish your hearts out boys, cuz it looks like we will be back to hatchery only over 67cm after tomorrow. (area 19/20)
This is not cast in stone, but i made a call to DFO and this is what they are expecting.

Whatever I dont know where you getting your info from but what I know (from what im involved with)we will be back to 2 anysize guess time will tell.

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Back