Dfo with spotting scopes

barrie

Driving up Wallace Drive from Brentwood Bay today and who do I see? DFO with spotting scopes watching all the boats up Saanich Inlet toward Bamberton. Those sneaky bastards.

Driving up Wallace Drive from Brentwood Bay today and who do I see? DFO with spotting scopes watching all the boats up Saanich Inlet toward Bamberton. Those sneaky bastards.
Why are they "sneaky bastards"? Unless you are breaking the law, you have nothing to worry about and they are doing a job we all desperately want them to do....catch poachers.:rolleyes:

I guess they got to do it that way, they have no funding for fuel etc. Likely had to borrow the scope.

I think they use radar and when your boat gose out of bounds at a speed its color flagged do it again or persist on that course zodiac soon appears .

"DFO does not fly around in the King Air with a window open" …. LOL - was thinking the same thing! Makes about as much sense as the navy having screen doors on the submarines, right?!! Given the hi-tech digital surveillance optics they have hard wired to the bottom of those King Airs I can guarantee they have no use for a spotting scope out a window.

Ukee

Maybe that was a cigar, not a spotting scope. C&P guys have a whole lot of different remote ways to watch what is going on. The boats are just for effect to flash the flag and keep you on your toes. Glad to see them out there keeping watch regardless.

Maybe a pee tube? Don't look up!

I heard they enlisted a flock of seagulls with Go Pro cameras around them, circling high infraction areas. Warning tickets are issued by way of fishy smelling poops.

I heard they enlisted a flock of seagulls with Go Pro cameras around them, circling high infraction areas. Warning tickets are issued by way of fishy smelling poops.

lol, now that is funny! Watch out for the hunk of drift wood patrol boat there too.

Wonder why they don't use that spotting scope on the big native boat prawning 24-7 in Satellite Channel???

Waste of time and money. Public Prosecution Service of Canada handles the prosecution all of our fisheries violations. It is supposed to be arm's length from the government, the following is the first line of their mandate:
"The creation of the PPSC reflects the decision to make transparent the principle of prosecutorial independence, free from any improper influence."
That being said, anytime a prosecutor comes across a case that could be politically problematic, like the one you have identified, head office must be notified. The case is then taken out of the hands/office of the local prosecutor and not much else happens.
The only thing worse for the CP officers and the prosecutors witnessing the crime is watching the bureaucrats twist themselves inside out to make the 'problem' of the report/charges go away.
Not fun. You can ask how I know, but I would have to lie to you and say I never worked as a agent for the PPSC.

Bottom line: Do NOT blame the CP officers.

I think the king air (speed air) has camera equipment that is worth more than the aircraft itself especially after the instal.

Surveillance from the shoreline is not an unusual enforcement tactic. They have to work with what they have. What I saw the other day was a CO not DFO driving on the Jubilee Pkwy and a car passed him on the double line and was speeding. No oncoming cars no real public safety issue. The kid in the car stops at the lights at the Old Island Highway and the CO turns on all his blinky lights and went up to the driver. I don't know what went on after that but seriously!!!! I wonder under what authority does a CO stop someone for a traffic violation. I also wonder why a CO would actually give a crap about a traffic violation unless it was an immediate danger to public safety. Maybe he's a traffic cop wannabe.

A CO is a Peace Officer and has the same authority as an RCMP officer to enforce traffic laws. I sure hope you're not suggesting, Prawn Star, that you're OK with letting some bonehead kid speed and pass on a double line under any circumstances?

A CO is a Peace Officer and has the same authority as an RCMP officer to enforce traffic laws. I sure hope you're not suggesting, Prawn Star, that you're OK with letting some bonehead kid speed and pass on a double line under any circumstances?

And as a sivilian ... what rights do you have , if the kid is ? ... NADDA ..

Back