DFO to issue "experimental" licences for halibut anglers

DO NOT EVER BUY QUOTA, ANYONE!!!

Once that ball starts rolling it will not stop - EVER!

If you say so, but at this point, as it has been presented it is absolutely not appropriate and no individual should be found to participate. Doing so will have a profound effect on every sector that may or may not be able to change. Simply go back to the table and talk, stop being whimpering crying babies and deal with this in a manor that will in the end result in the change that is necessary for all to move forward and be successful.

I am starting to become worried that we are all going to be brought up on charges for participating in the act of prostitution. All of us Sporties and the Working Commercial Fishermen have all just been Fu@#ed by mistress SHEA and yes we have all played a part in paying her for it (Our taxes pay her salery). And now we are goiing to have to pay her Pimps the Fish Lord Slipper Skippers from this day forward?? This is bullshite, spring is coming, perhaps it is time to do some spring cleaning in the upper levels of DFO.

Last edited by a moderator:
stop being whimpering crying babies and deal with this in a manor that will in the end result in the change that is necessary for all to move forward and be successful.

Oh my friend why must you antagonize us so? Smart guy but grrrrrr.

We almost have you figured out! haha!

I'm sure we'll be back to the table BigTop!! Thanks for the hot tip!!!

If you say so, but at this point, as it has been presented it is absolutely not appropriate and no individual should be found to participate. Doing so will have a profound effect on every sector that may or may not be able to change. Simply go back to the table and talk, stop being whimpering crying babies and deal with this in a manor that will in the end result in the change that is necessary for all to move forward and be successful.

I agree that if anyone buys into this, the effects will be very profound for not only the Halibut fishery, but also any fishery that the Powers that be in DFO choose to apply this model to. It will have not so good effects on not only the Sport fishers but also the acvtive commercial fishers. We all need to get together and sort out a workable solution and then together stand up to DFO to enact a change. If we keep sitting back and waiting for DFO to tell us what we really don't want to hear, then that is all that we will ever get. We ALL have to take the fight to them, and tell them what we all know will work for all of us involved. And if they don't like it then they are not argueing with small groups (which they can ignore and stanglehold), they will be argueing with several hundred thousand people.

Yes we do need to get past the passion of the moment, put our heads together and put forward realistic solutions.

Nice to see you back - and with lovely words like that - You promised to tell us the plan-"what table would you be talking about in which we can all sit down and please when can we do this?"

:)

Oh my friend why must you antagonize us so? Smart guy but grrrrrr.

We almost have you figured out! haha!

I'm sure we'll be back to the table BigTop!! Thanks for the hot tip!!!

Walking away from the table gave you status quot, SFI & SFAB knew that. Stop wasting your energy and sit back down at the table where it counts. It's a no go, unless we all have consensus. Figure that!

Walking away from the table gave you status quot, SFI & SFAB knew that. Stop wasting your energy and sit back down at the table where it counts. It's a no go, unless we all have consensus. Figure that!

Wow - again the what, the where and when! Seeing you know so much could you run the group ;)

Nice to see you back - and with lovely words like that - You promised to tell us the plan-"what table would you be talking about in which we can all sit down and please when can we do this?"

:)

Yes, we will offer some ideas when we are ready. We are not looking at short term bandaid fixes, quite simply everyone knows that the real value in change is the surmountable proof that what ever is observed will in fact work. We are not working on something that is a solution for just one sector, and we are not stuck on old school values or ideals. Yes, we will contact the appropriate individuals when we are ready.

Ouch, struck a nerve there! Getting closer to the truth i suspect. Suppose this has nothing to do with the fact that the current price per pound just went up making your catch less profitable? Perhaps this supports the notion that this decision is a raw deal for both Sport and Commercial. "stop being whimpering crying babies"...OMG, speaks volumes to me about intentions and motivation - a wolf in sheep's clothing perhaps? Guess I'm disappointed - after all those promises to share the perfect solution to all these problems - looking a lot like smoke and mirrors after that comment dude. I sure hope you didn't mean that.

Maybe there might just be a little more willingness to negotiate a win/win deal but I suspect it is coming too little too late for DFO. They have an agenda and this played right into it squarely. Get ready for salmon ITQ's next.

I guess I do agree with you DD on two points - one, everyone should be talking at the table and coming prepared to find win/win solutions; two, no one should buy quota - its the beginning of the end if you do.

Ding Dong! If we can get all parties that are actively involved in the Halibut Fishery to a Table to talk constructively about how to correct the known problems with the current system, will (can) you be there at that said table to offer your insight to help speed up the process to come to a solution?? Are you in a position to collect or invite the appropriate people to attend such a meeting?? If so how soon can it be started???

We need to get this process started yesterday, not tomorrow.

If you are not able to participate or initiate this meeting Ding Dong!, is there anyone else out there on this forum that can help to get this going???

Ouch, struck a nerve there! Getting closer to the truth i suspect. Suppose this has nothing to do with the fact that the current price per pound just went up making your catch less profitable? Perhaps this supports the notion that this decision is a raw deal for both Sport and Commercial. "stop being whimpering crying babies"...OMG, speaks volumes to me about intentions and motivation - a wolf in sheep's clothing perhaps? Guess I'm disappointed - after all those promises to share the perfect solution to all these problems - looking a lot like smoke and mirrors after that comment dude. I sure hope you didn't mean that.

Maybe there might just be a little more willingness to negotiate a win/win deal but I suspect it is coming too little too late for DFO. They have an agenda and this played right into it squarely. Get ready for salmon ITQ's next.

I guess I do agree with you DD on two points - one, everyone should be talking at the table and coming prepared to find win/win solutions; two, no one should buy quota - its the beginning of the end if you do.

NO SFI & SFAB walked away from the table. they were well aware that what they created was a status quot scenario. Did business leave Joe Angler hanging? DFO will not be swayed by political means, try it you'll see. We are working on things, no we won't be ready to announce a be all to end all solution today. Yes, you will see something soon. If you don't like my directness, too bad! Your decision to follow a certain direction or approach is not working other than to show that you are not happy. CONSENSUS that is the word and direction that you need to follow.

DD - Action speaks louder than words and so far all we are getting from you is words aimed it appears at antagonizing rather than offering up meaningful details to support your theory on how to resolve this issue. So pardon me for being just a little suspect. Fool me once, shame on you...fool me twice shame on me.

NO SFI & SFAB walked away from the table. they were well aware that what they created was a status quot scenario. Did business leave Joe Angler hanging?
Here we go again with the subtle divide and conquer bulls*@t!!!! Seriously, if you are a working halibut fisherman who really wants to sit down and join forces against DFO, let's get on with it. I'm in 100%. So far you have offered nothing but these little hints about how the industry side has screwed the average Joe. You really come off as a troll. Please just fill us in on the solution! If it involves us leasing quota off slipper skippers, save it and kindly go away!

DD - Action speaks louder than words and so far all we are getting from you is words aimed it appears at antagonizing rather than offering up meaningful details to support your theory on how to resolve this issue. So pardon me for being just a little suspect. Fool me once, shame on you...fool me twice shame on me.

Oh, actions. Ok! Please, who is further ahead today? All the effort and bagging that this forum has created, or me for sharing that something other than what SFI might do. I have never said that what we are doing is the answer, I have only stated that there are options. We are working on ideas that myself and other believe may help. We started 5 months ago, how long has your fight been? I guess, it's easier to do things and then say oh, look! I am not a commercial entity, I do not guide, and until a few years ago, I was not an angler. You look into your light, and I will follow mine, in the end, lets see who, helps who, when they do it.

buy nothing ...lease nothing.....i'll sell my boat and go pick f#@!*&king apples in the okanagan

before i buy or lease any halibut quota

completely agree with most comments posted. This is a terrible decision for recreational anglers. From a political perspective shea is brilliant, think about it - she divides the recreational anglers by enticing guides who fear not having the ability to run their charters into buying a "commercial" halibut license...which in effect now creates another private ownership of a public resource and yet another death nail into the coffin of recreational angling. Let's not forget the system in place on the east coast of canada...there is no public fishery. You can't go get a fishing licence and catch a fish...that is owned by the commercial sector. That's right, there is no recreational fishery for most species of fish. This is the real long term agenda for the west coast. Divide, conquer and create a fishery that can be managed off the side of a desk with electronic catch monitoring.

There isn't much reliable detailed information out from dfo as to how this scheme will work, so perhaps we should all the facts first, then decide on action...but for now i concur with nog....no one should touch one of those licenses with a 10 foot pole or you risk killing your future as a recreational angler.

Back