DFO targets salmon poachers on the Fraser

I bet the guys on the ground are feeling good about this. Finally get the green light from the politicians to actually do their job and make a difference.

I was in a grocery store this morning and there was a piece of wild sockeye there that was 1.35KG, the price on it was $90.89. :O

I was floored by that.

No wonder there's a black market for them.

That's $30.60 per pound!

Hmmmm, I have released about $1400.00 worth from the chuck this summer so far then. Hope my $1400 swims all the way to the spawning grounds avoiding all those poachers

Well sorry to disappoint you about your sockeye but I was down at blackie spit last night which is at cresent beach in south surrey and some young punk was blatantly selling " Fresh Sockeye" ( the cardboard said it in his back window), so I pulled out my phone recorded him selling a fish and after the sale went up to him and told him the dfo was on there way! Needless to say they never showed even after I called three times! Unfortunately the little ******* locked his keys in his car when I told him he was being taped and had to get a tow truck to get his keys out. Anyone know who I can get the video to!

Well sorry to disappoint you about your sockeye but I was down at blackie spit last night which is at cresent beach in south surrey and some young punk was blatantly selling " Fresh Sockeye" ( the cardboard said it in his back window), so I pulled out my phone recorded him selling a fish and after the sale went up to him and told him the dfo was on there way! Needless to say they never showed even after I called three times! Unfortunately the little ******* locked his keys in his car when I told him he was being taped and had to get a tow truck to get his keys out. Anyone know who I can get the video to!

They will not show. Why would they for a punk kid? They have bigger fish to fry, sorry for the pun.

you can provide a copy to your local DFO office. Even if we don't attend, it will be added to our intelligence files on individuals. As the files on these folks grow, we can direct our limited resources on them.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would appear the average fine for over limit is $250-300.
Not much of a deterrent especially when you consider a med. size Halibut
could be sold for more

West Coast Resorts $3500 Halibut Fine

How about the French Creek poacher $900 and a pair of pliers.... LOL

how many times do you get caught with undersize crab to get 7 days in jail? outstanding.

$750 for failure to write down a hali caught my eye. I got a warning for that in the spring last year. A few other notes.

Looks like there is about 50 infractions convicted. This itself shows how understaffed the poor guys are.

And lastly, whats with all the weird named clam and crab poachers?

whats with all the weird named clam and crab poachers?

An old friend who lives in Parksville used to watch these folks load up burlap sacks and bury them in the sand.
They would come back after dark with head lamps and dig them up.
He tried to speak to them about limits, but no speak English ? :confused:
DFO was called, not sure if they were ever busted

There's a lot of Chan's and Yung's and Fu's on the convicted list?

Not sure what your point is. There are 100 names on that list and 28 of them appear to be Chinese or Vietnamese. Most of the rest appear to be good old anglo-saxons.

West Coast Resorts $3500 Halibut Fine

How about the French Creek poacher $900 and a pair of pliers.... LOL

I would be interested in hearing more about the West Coast Resorts Halibut Fine?

Some representatives with West Coast Resorts play a very pivotal role in our Halibut negotiations in the SFAB....from what I understand
I'd be very interested in some follow up on this one.....

I would be interested in hearing more about the West Coast Resorts Halibut Fine?

Some representatives with West Coast Resorts play a very pivotal role in our Halibut negotiations in the SFAB....from what I understand
I'd be very interested in some follow up on this one.....

After looking it up the section to which they were charged implies they processed and packaged the halibut so the size and quantity could not be identified.

Not sure what your point is. There are 100 names on that list and 28 of them appear to be Chinese or Vietnamese. Most of the rest appear to be good old anglo-saxons.

Not man good ole anglo's if any with to many crab or clams.

Back