DFO online survey

scott craven

Anybody else get an e-mail from DFO requesting an on line survey ? :confused:

March 2012
Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) is responsible for estimating recreational fishing catch. To estimate recreational catch in tidal waters, DFO is conducting an online survey of tidal water licence holders. You have been selected to provide information on your fishing activity during the month of March 2012. It is important that you provide accurate and complete information when filling out the survey. If you do not fish in March, we need that information as well. The survey should take less than five minutes for most respondents or somewhat longer for more active fishers. Please note that although participation in this survey is voluntary, your participation is vital to DFO’s ability to estimate recreational catch.
EKOS Research Associates, an independent consulting company, has been contracted by DFO to conduct this online survey, including contacting you by email. Your survey responses will remain strictly confidential, and will be protected in accordance with the provisions of the federal Privacy Act.
In a few days, you will receive a second email with the subject “Online Recreational Fishing Survey Details” from EKOS Research Associates. That email will provide details on logging into the survey website, as well as outline what information will be requested on the survey.
Should you have questions or concerns regarding this survey, please do not hesitate to contact:
SportCatchSurvey@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

I haven't received the email but it is my understanding that they are setting up an online voluntary catch monitoring program in which fisherpeople can post up their catches online and they will have an app for smart phones as well.

HHHMMM dont know about this as most of the guides who have been doing the log book program only to see us get slammed year after year are fed up.
Do what you want but be forewarnded its not going to help us in the long run in my opinion.

HHHMMM dont know about this as most of the guides who have been doing the log book program only to see us get slammed year after year are fed up.
Do what you want but be forewarnded its not going to help us in the long run in my opinion.

How are you getting slammed?

maybe they wanna show numbers of fishers in early season and its reflection of tac? 5% or less of total sports fishers go out until june onward.. so our season really should be until the end of sept,,?? Ya?

maybe they wanna show numbers of fishers in early season and its reflection of tac? 5% or less of total sports fishers go out until june onward.. so our season really should be until the end of sept,,?? Ya?

This would work provided they ask the right fishers. Bet they didn't send emails to all the fishers from Kelowna that make it to the salt once a year. I don't know if I would trust this "select" survey.

Random surveys are complete and absolute ********!!!!!! What a fu@%ing waste fo time!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

Make ever angler that intends to target Halibut buy a Halibut tag (then they will know how many people are trying to catch Halibut).

If they can do a random online survey by computer or by smartphone, then they can do a mandatory catch report by every Halibut tag holder online or by smartphone. This online catch report will match the written records on our Halibut tags that we must turn in before getting next years Tag. This will give them complete and accurate data, not RANDOM data! These people need to get off of their asses and get this done NOW!!!!!!!!:mad:

Do they do random catch surveys and random reporting for the commercial guys? Do they only report every other trip into the dock? Or take one guys report and estimate the number of commercial boats out there fishing and then average it out to get the commercial sectors total catch??? (This is not the way that I understand it at all.) They account for every vessel fishing, and they count every pound that comes to the dock right??? That way they get REAL DATA!!

FH

Simple solution to this, say you caught nothing...extend the season...

Funny thing, last year we did catch NO Halibut. And none of the anglers that were on our boat have been asked at any point how many fish we caught during all of our attempts last season. Guaranteed that we were still counted in the fly-overs and our trailer was counted at the boat ramp parking lot, and an "average" was used on behalf of our attempts.

Funny thing, last year we did catch NO Halibut. And none of the anglers that were on our boat have been asked at any point how many fish we caught during all of our attempts last season. Guaranteed that we were still counted in the fly-overs and our trailer was counted at the boat ramp parking lot, and an "average" was used on behalf of our attempts.

I am sure the same was applied to me. And we caught zero lbs of halibut in 2011, although we tried like 8 times.

AREA 19 20 for 5 years now HAS been slammed with salmon resuctions where have you been sculpin??? sorry to say not picking a fight man but this have been a hot bed for a long time .... and its only going to get worse maybe you should come down to the SFAB meeting on WED MARCH 21 and here what totall BS we are going to have to endure hell ill even buy you a beer afterwards.

Wolf

Yup, got the same e-mail from DFO requesting an on line survey for March.

Anybody else get an e-mail from DFO requesting an on line survey ? :confused:

March 2012
Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) is responsible for estimating recreational fishing catch. To estimate recreational catch in tidal waters, DFO is conducting an online survey of tidal water licence holders. You have been selected to provide information on your fishing activity during the month of March 2012. It is important that you provide accurate and complete information when filling out the survey. If you do not fish in March, we need that information as well. The survey should take less than five minutes for most respondents or somewhat longer for more active fishers. Please note that although participation in this survey is voluntary, your participation is vital to DFO’s ability to estimate recreational catch.
EKOS Research Associates, an independent consulting company, has been contracted by DFO to conduct this online survey, including contacting you by email. Your survey responses will remain strictly confidential, and will be protected in accordance with the provisions of the federal Privacy Act.
In a few days, you will receive a second email with the subject “Online Recreational Fishing Survey Details” from EKOS Research Associates. That email will provide details on logging into the survey website, as well as outline what information will be requested on the survey.
Should you have questions or concerns regarding this survey, please do not hesitate to contact:
SportCatchSurvey@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

this is as stupid as what WDFW does down here!!!!! we have a catch record card, we are forced to purchase them, legally we are supposed to send them in at the end of the license term. they have not been looked at or summarized for who knows how long. the claim, '...the return rate is too poor...' now they instituted a crab catch card reporting system online to up the return rate, added a financial penalty (small) for not reporting and presto, the amount of data increased dramatically. but with everything else, a statistical procedure, sample free is how its described, jinned up in the 70s and never validated combined with 'random' phone calls and launch checks on some unknown schedule, i have never been checked, and from that they determine how many fish have been caught and what the seasons are going to look like. according to their own studies, they found that these random phone calls were in error something like 45-50%, people who fish lie!

what you are being exposed to is exactly the same ****** procedures that tend to generate information of almost zero utility. good luck in getting DFO to shift gears. i tried down this way for a month with daily information packed emails which reached the director and commissioners of WDFW but they are stuck in their ways and won't face the reality of faulty data. all of us suffer from this sort of approach along with the fish. just amazing.

Random surveys are complete and absolute ********!!!!!! What a fu@%ing waste fo time!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

Make ever angler that intends to target Halibut buy a Halibut tag (then they will know how many people are trying to catch Halibut).

If they can do a random online survey by computer or by smartphone, then they can do a mandatory catch report by every Halibut tag holder online or by smartphone. This online catch report will match the written records on our Halibut tags that we must turn in before getting next years Tag. This will give them complete and accurate data, not RANDOM data! These people need to get off of their asses and get this done NOW!!!!!!!!:mad:

Do they do random catch surveys and random reporting for the commercial guys? Do they only report every other trip into the dock? Or take one guys report and estimate the number of commercial boats out there fishing and then average it out to get the commercial sectors total catch??? (This is not the way that I understand it at all.) They account for every vessel fishing, and they count every pound that comes to the dock right??? That way they get REAL DATA!!

FH

Be careful what you wish for!!!!!!!! Each commie has a camera on board that records their every move (they pay around $10,000 for the camera and they pay to have someone randomly view the film too). Logs must be filled out and then an independent guy ( I think it is $120/hr with a two hour minimum, they pay for this also ) comes down and observes and counts as the fish are offloaded.

I can also tell you from my ex troller days that all information that you give to DFO will be used against you. All records of bycatch of cod and snapper, immature springs and coho, any catch and release information, any highgrading for larger springs. All of this will be used against you to keep you out of the better fishing spots just when you really want to be there. You think you will be treated fairly and you want to participate for the "good of the resource". Good luck with that is all I can say.

come down to the SFAB meeting on WED MARCH 21 and here what totall BS we are going to have to endure hell ill even buy you a beer afterwards.

Wolf

Does the same apply here?

Be careful what you wish for!!!!!!!! Each commie has a camera on board that records their every move (they pay around $10,000 for the camera and they pay to have someone randomly view the film too). Logs must be filled out and then an independent guy ( I think it is $120/hr with a two hour minimum, they pay for this also ) comes down and observes and counts as the fish are offloaded.

Your info is a little off there.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the same apply here?

Your info is a little off there.....

Which part of the info is off?

I know people who have installed cameras and what they cost to buy the camera from DFO and have it installed.
I know the film is viewed and they get charged. ( I am not sure the cost of viewing the film but I can find out for you if you wish )
And I know a guy from JL Thomas comes down and validates your catch, I am not exactly sure of the exact hourly rate but I am close.

That was for sculpin LIPPY i cant afford what you drink in a night LOL LOL nut ill go with you if you want along with any other sooke people to attend the meeting

Back