DFO must fix halibut controversy now

Fish Hunter, Jimmy Patterson owns almost half of the total Canadian halibut TAC. That should answer your question as to why she listens to the commercial sector. You look after your circle of friends.

Since the Court system still rules under the Queen, the Magna Carta should still apply, considering that Canada is a corporation and DFO is simply a division of it. Almost all of you keep expressing that it is a breach of your rights to this and rights to that, so why waste any more time? Go to Court!

Another sector did exactly that, and they have been quite successful to date, and so they will continue to do what ever it is to ensure that their rights are met and maintained. If you have rights like many of you keep spouting, go exorcise them, quit pissing around and move forward! Get it over with!

100,000 dedicated halibut anglers can raise the capital necessary to retain good Council.

Ding Dong!

Ok, I'll bite.

Assuming that we were to actually want to lease quota (for 2011 approxs 700,000 lbs @ $5- $7 per lb) or take DFO to court (It'd definitelty end up being the Supreme Court by the time the dust settles - 5 yrs and $1 million minimum), how do you propose we raise the necessary funds? Donations? Raffles? Bake Sales?

I sure as heck haven't got any answers! Thats a lot of dough guys.

Oh yeah, for the quota lease option you'd need to raise those funds over the next couple of months. For the court option, any idea what we'll do for the next 5 years or so while the lawyers duke it out?

I'm not trying to be cynical, just realistic. I'd sure like to have some hope for 2011...

CP

CP, lets hope the first plan in place works and we see the minister make changes to give us a proper season for 2011. Also I'm advocating buying not leasing quota. Either buying quota or going to court won't result in a quick settlement. How to raise money. There are people out there with lots of expertise in this area. I see unpaid volunteers downtown every day for various groups and their causes. We have a cause, we need a marketing/fund raiser leader and an army of dedicated volunteers to do the leg work. I wouldn't expect any of the present coalition leaders to take on the task, rather search out those who have the knowledge and a history of success. Honestly I think as money starts to come in and both the commercials and minister hear what is up, there will be a softening of their position.

Just a change in pace, CBC podcast interview, good job explaining the issue.

Ding Dong!

------------------------

January 6

Proposing changes to the halibut fishery, teaching for merit pay, quit smoking for cash and Victoria Street Newz.

Right click to Download January 6
[mp3 file: runs 30:22]

This is a political fight, not a legal fight. It would not be in the interests of the sport fishing sector to even consider taking it to court at this time, even if you have a truck full of money and half dozen lawyers willing to work pro bono. The government, DFO and the commies would love us to go that route and one wonders why it keeps getting suggested. Its big money and the ability to financially outlast your opponent that wins legal fights of this nature. Going up against the resources of the federal government is generally a losing situation. Further, while those years would be passing, the politicians would do what they always do in a situation like this; nothing, while smiling and answering every question with “sorry we can’t comment, it’s before the courts”. In effect you would be giving them an excuse to avoid dealing with the issue for years.

We can win a political fight and there are much better uses for any money we raise to aid in the process

In my opinion "buying quota" would set a dangerous precedent.
Once DFO and the feds think sports fishermen are happy to buy quota
from the commercials, they will never change the 88/12 split. :(

Agreed Scott. should not have to "buy" a CANADIAN resource.

On a side note Im driving up to nanaimo tonight to attend the meeting up there. and to show my support to the boys there.

Wolf

Getting some good replies from many of the MP`s that I sent letters out to. An example of one reply.

Dear Justin,

Thank you for contacting my office about the 88/12 halibut allocation in British Columbia. I agree that there must be a reasonable and fair solution to halibut allocation on our coast.

My colleague, NDP critic for Fisheries and Oceans, Fin Donnelly, MP New Westminster-Coquitlam and Port Moody, has been speaking with stakeholders and is hearing from all sides on this particular issue. It is time for the Honourable Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, to understand the importance of halibut allocation and to hold discussions with both the commercial and recreational sectors with the intention of implementing a solution that meets the needs of, and is agreed upon, by all participants.

I appreciate you sharing your concerns with me. I have passed them on to Mr. Donnelly, and we will keep you updated on how this important subject unfolds in the coming months.

Sincerely,

Jean Crowder,

MP, Nanaimo – Cowichan

www.jeancrowder.com

I'm of the same opinion as the last few. We can not buy quota, nor pursue this through the courts. The first option we don't have the money for (even if quota was made available) at $40 to $50 bucks a pound to purchase, and to go to court is not only a huge risk but also a huge expense!

In my opinion what we need to do is keep the pressure on the minister and staff. They need to correct this injustice that a prior Liberal Minister burdoned them with. And of course it doesn't hurt that almost every one of the annual licence holders votes so hopefully they can do the math. Minority gov't, B.C. is key to their success, 100,000 rightfully ticked off voters, 300 halibut barons, you get the picture. Even if DFO bought quota to use as a cushion for when the rec sector went over the 12% they would be heros. And when we don't (which will happen) they can lease it to the commercial guys to get the investment back or be real nice and give it to them, much like they did with the PICFI sockeye licences this year.

double trouble, and the rest of you that are on this path, I do believe you are all correct! If we take this to court, IT WILL BE VERRRRRRRY EXPENSIVE!!!!! Not to mention even if we do raise enough money to fight the ministry on this it will take years and years and years, they will drag it out till we are all dead and gone, plus we would be paying out of pocket to fight a court battle funded by OUR TAX DOLLARS, and perhaps the Commercial fishery and the wealthy astute business people that have purchased the rights (licenses/quotas) to a Canadian resource that is supposed to free to all of us. The later would for obvious reasons fall in step with and support the DFO in that fight to protect their GIFT/investment. That is not the answer here, the minister has the power to make the change without involving the courts and wasting any time, she just needs to do it. She needs to understand this problem is not going to fix its self - SHE has to do something - NOW!!! I am sorry she must climb out of the Commercial Fisheries POCKET - we are prepared to see the government cut a hole in that pocket so that she falls out;) - if that is what is needed.

double trouble, and the rest of you that are on this path, I do believe you are all correct! If we take this to court, IT WILL BE VERRRRRRRY EXPENSIVE!!!!! Not to mention even if we do raise enough money to fight the ministry on this it will take years and years and years, they will drag it out till we are all dead and gone, plus we would be paying out of pocket to fight a court battle funded by OUR TAX DOLLARS, and perhaps the Commercial fishery and the wealthy astute business people that have purchased the rights (licenses/quotas) to a Canadian resource that is supposed to free to all of us. The later would for obvious reasons fall in step with and support the DFO in that fight to protect their GIFT/investment. That is not the answer here, the minister has the power to make the change without involving the courts and wasting any time, she just needs to do it. She needs to understand this problem is not going to fix its self - SHE has to do something - NOW!!! I am sorry she must climb out of the Commercial Fisheries POCKET - we are prepared to see the government cut a hole in that pocket so that she falls out;) - if that is what is needed.

I agree 100%
I believe it was said last night @ Nanaimo Town Hall meeting-DFO has 50 lawyers on retainer and they would love to be off the retainer & make some real money. This is not the road to go down

Back