DFO & Hatcheries

Time

With the warmer than normal water in the rivers, low flows occurring in most rivers, and probable drying up of many spawning beds and creeks, it looks like a poor year for the spawning salmon.

What is the liklihood of DFO expanding or enhancing hatchery capacity to make up, at least partially, for what I expect to be poor conditions on the spawning beds?

I don't really want to hear in four years that returns are dismal due to mother natures whims back in 2015.

Any thoughts?

Good prediction, that is exactly what you will experience in 4 years. Actually it will start in two years when you hear about reduction in pink returns, 3 years you will read about reduction in coho and 3 year Chinooks and then it will really get bad in the fourth year with the likely closing of all sockeye fishing and serious reduction in Chinook harvests.

Likelihood of DFO expanding hatchery production? I suspect slim and none. They don't have the budget for it and will not be getting any additional funds when the Feds are in neck deep in an election year. Hate to be a "Doom and Gloomer" but I fear that we will have a few very lean years ahead of us.

Good prediction, that is exactly what you will experience in 4 years. Actually it will start in two years when you hear about reduction in pink returns, 3 years you will read about reduction in coho and 3 year Chinooks and then it will really get bad in the fourth year with the likely closing of all sockeye fishing and serious reduction in Chinook harvests.

Likelihood of DFO expanding hatchery production? I suspect slim and none. They don't have the budget for it and will not be getting any additional funds when the Feds are in neck deep in an election year. Hate to be a "Doom and Gloomer" but I fear that we will have a few very lean years ahead of us.

Unfortunately I was thinking the same thing. As alarming as the low water levels are to you and me, it would be a very uncharacteristically swift decision by the DFO to increase capacity so quickly.

Actually got ahold of a fisheries person today.
No plans being floated about to be pro-active by increasing hatchery production.
If it turns into a disaster year, as I/we fear, it would be something senior officials would discuss over the winter.
Wait and see and hope for rain.

I agree with these statements...Its not in DFO mandate or radar right now. They are looking to communities to lead the way as far as hatcheries and enhancement go. I think this will be the future unfortunately... The government under DFO would rather invest in fish farming, and not invest in wild fish. It has been clear more so these last few years.

Back