DFO followup survey

sammyslabber

​I recently obtained an online s/w licence; got this follow up questionnaire later via email,out of interest did anyone else receive one?

WELCOME.
You have been selected to complete the Internet Recreational Effort and Catch survey regarding your recreational fishing during the month of April

When you purchased your BC Sport Fishing tidal water license you agreed to provide information on your fishing activities to Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) when asked. By completing this survey, you will help meet the shared responsibility, with DFO, to strengthen recreational fisheries monitoring and catch reporting programs in Pacific fisheries.

IF YOU DID NOT FISH DURING THIS PERIOD
Please report that in the survey.

IF YOU DID FISH DURING THIS PERIOD
Please “count your catch”….

<tbody>
</tbody>
WHAT COUNTS?
· the dates you fished whether you caught something or not
· the management areas you fished in
· the fishing methods you used
· the number of juveniles who fished with you
· the number of each species of finfish and shellfish you caught

Accessing the survey
You will receive an email from EKOS Research Associates with your personal access link to the survey within a few days. Reminder emails will be sent to those who do not complete the survey.

QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS

GENERAL INFORMATION ABOUT THE SURVEY
Please visit: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/irec/index-eng.html

Thank you for your commitment to Pacific fisheries.

Nope.. Not yet;) gotta thanks for the reply on the halibut questionaire.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, been surveyed 2x now. Plus I have log book for my boat. We really need reliable information to help enhance the data. In the absence of good reliable data someone will make it up. When someone makes it up, and the question comes one day on FN land claims as to the recreational catch for say WCVI, and all we have is a guesstimate....you know what happens next. Yup, bend over here it comes again. If you haven't been following what is currently going on you need to be. We have one FN band who has won in court the right to commercially fish chinook. Every FN band on the coast has what can be loosely termed a "me too" clause in their land claims, meaning if one gets something the rest "me too" to get the same.

So where do you think all the Chinook for these "new" fisheries is going to come from? It will come from the recreational and commercial sectors. Right now all the recreational sector has is what is called an "Expected Catch." That is 60,000 chinook on WCVI. If each band gets the 15-30K they are asking for that leaves zip for you and I unless we can prove what our traditional needs are.

Our only hope as recreational fishers is to document our legitimate claim to our fishing needs...thus, log all your catch please, participate in creel surveys or online surveys etc.

My wife got one. They only want to know about the month of April for some reason. At least they are trying?

I was asked/selected back in January for the month of February. Never made it out, lousy winter.
Always turn in your hatchery heads. I see people holding fish up for photos but no mention of "gonna turn the head in."
Even the capilano coho heads need to be turned in, no exceptions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back