DFO alive and well

Gronk

Talked with a buddy who spend last weekend fishing Barcley Sound and 5 mile. He was stopped 4 times by DFO while fishing 5 mile. He noted they had confiscated quite a pile of Coho and Halibut from 25 mile. Seems like a lot of people were keeping wild when they shouldn't, fishing with barbed hooks and over the limit for halis.

He also mentioned that he limited out on hatchery Coho at 5 mile using anchovies but couldn't get his limit on Springs at the wall, seems like they were all over 77cm not a small one to be had.

I've got to get out there again hopefully this weekend, anyone else heading out?

Glad to hear the DFO is actually enforcing the regulations there. The proportion of people fishing with barbed hooks and retaining wild Coho illegally on the west coast is appalling. The Feds just approved and completed training 22 more enforcement officers for BC. So, all the cheaters better watch out they'll be looking for you.

That is really good news. I wish they would do the same down here in the states! God knows we need it. I went to a local pier about two weeks ago and some guy that 'no speak ingles' had 5 small dungeness (NOT pacific graceful) crab in his bucket that he had caught. they were about 3, maybe 3.5 inches across the back of the shell....so about 8 cm. I tried to confront him about it, but he told me that those were some 'big crab'.[V]

All I got to say is it's too bad DFO doesn't use all that energy and tax payers money on patrolling our rivers where the serious damage is being done on the spawners, most sport guys on the chuck are pretty law abiding.

DFO would do very well to have undercover agents at the docks and along the rivers. Set 'em up very ameturish with Canadian Tire fly rods, and make 'em chatty.

From what I observe every summer at the cleaning table, they would do very very well, and save a lot of money by not running the rubber boat.

Besides, in some of the cases of gross violation of the regs, they could sieze a couple boats and trucks to show that they mean business. Look at what happens to anyone caught with abolaone.

The regulations are damn clear, maybe with the exception of the pink in the steelhead picture. I've seen MORE then enough coolers FULL of wild coho, and several cases of "fillet an release". And not just an extra piece for mom, but just about full on commerical fishing.

quote:Originally posted by LastChance

DFO would do very well to have undercover agents at the docks and along the rivers. Set 'em up very ameturish with Canadian Tire fly rods, and make 'em chatty.

LastChance, I have actually seen a CO do that. Not a DFO guy. :D I was fishing steelhead on a river when a fisherman comes up beside me, fishing rod in his hand, waders on, the whole 9 yards. He asked me how I was making out and after I answered he showed me his badge and asked to check the barb on my hook and see my license. LOL I said to him (since he had the fishing rod) "I see you already took somebody's gear." "Nope" he said, "it's part of my disguise." :D

This guy worked out of Port Alberni, I don't recall his name.

quote:Originally posted by LastChance

I think they prefer the hiding in the bushes and taking pictures routine. Must not be that social.

Best one I saw was on the Cowichan about 15 years ago when a bunch of us were doing a swim down the Cowichan in October with wetsuits, and snorkel gear to look at the salmon. We were accompanied by a fisheries officer who was acting as our guide. We came shooting into the powerhouse pool (which was loaded with salmon) and there was about 10 guys on the bank casting in the pool. Up we pop out of the water and the fisheries guy says "I am a fisheries officer andyou are fishing in a closed area." Never saw a bank empty so fast in my life. I just about choked on my snorkel I was laughing so hard.
T2

Back