Desolation Sound for 10 days

gnmbrouwer

Hi all,

Heading to Desolation Sound for 10 days or so, we were hoping to do some fishing/crabbing/prawning/eating.

Was going to try for some salmon, rockfish, prawns and possible some shellfish and was wondering if anyone has some tips as to technique, tackle, location etc.
I haven't done much fishing in 25 years or so and will be buying some new gear. We will be on a 40' cruiser so no trawling.
Any and all advice much appreciated.

Feel free to email me directly.

Thanks in advance.

what time of year you planning on going and do you have a ball route picked out yet? If you're going this spring / summer there will be salmon retention regs to navigate. There are some mainland inlets that will be open to chinook retention in the area so you can find places to retain salmon but you might need to travel a bit to find those areas.

here's area 13 regs - https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s13-eng.html
you might wanna browse thru it and the other areas you plan to visit to see what's open/closed for salmon/rockfish/etc.

You sleeping on the boat I assume? if so you can explore some of the more remote areas of desolation which can be nice and quiet. Maybe browse through some of the cruising guides (just google desolation sound cruising) to get a refresher on the common anchorages, etc as a starting point.

In my experience, Desolation is great for boat camping but hit and miss for salmon fishing. I guess I wasn’t surprised about the so-so salmon fishing when I dove off my boat into the water for the first time and experienced f how warm the waters are during the summer

I had some spring action at Sarah Point, right at the mouth of the Sound. And then out around Lund—-Iron Mines, reef just south of Savary....but then you’re no longer in Desolation Sound so that alone tells a story. Happy Boat Camping—-it’s a gorgeous spot, though over-subscribed

what time of year you planning on going and do you have a ball route picked out yet? If you're going this spring / summer there will be salmon retention regs to navigate. There are some mainland inlets that will be open to chinook retention in the area so you can find places to retain salmon but you might need to travel a bit to find those areas.

here's area 13 regs - https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s13-eng.html
you might wanna browse thru it and the other areas you plan to visit to see what's open/closed for salmon/rockfish/etc.

You sleeping on the boat I assume? if so you can explore some of the more remote areas of desolation which can be nice and quiet. Maybe browse through some of the cruising guides (just google desolation sound cruising) to get a refresher on the common anchorages, etc as a starting point.
Early June for 10-14 days. Yes sleeping on the boat. Much thanks.

I second Denham Bay. Aside from Sarah Point, there a few areas salmon can be caught, though my own limited experience was not great. Lewis Channel, Elizabeth Island and Channel Island are a few around East and West Redonda I have fished. Prawning can be great, but by the time you go in June, the commercial fishery wil have thinned it out pretty good, I imagine. Regardless, it's worth the trip and you won't get have the crazy summer traffic to contend with.

if you buzz bomb there go with white pearl 3.5"-4" xw , or same in in chrome. the extra wide flutters far better on the fall.

Early June for 10-14 days. Yes sleeping on the boat. Much thanks.
in that case Toba Wilderness is a great spot to boat camp for a night or two. They open June 1. Fishing can be good then as well and many jig for salmon just off the dock at toba but with the new regs I think you'll need to head up the inlet a bit to ensure you're fishing in an 'open' area. Check the regs. Just bring a few buzz bombs or other favourite jigs and keep an eye on sounder for fish. Super fun way to catch fish if you haven't done it before.

Assuming you have Navionics on your iphone/ipad you can plan your trip nicely if so. A few common boat camping spots would be: Prideaux Haven (not as busy in June); Toba Wilderness; Roscoe Bay; tip of Pendrell Sound (warm water later in summer); Teakearne Arm (cassel lake); Refuge Cove (supplies/fuel); Octopus Island; Owen Bay; Gorge Harbour (fuel/restaurants). There are tons of other spots of course but these are some of the more common anchorages for boats at anchor. June will be a nice time to go as not as busy at some of these common spots, though the water won't be as warm for swimming if you're into that. Lots of good hikes into lakes at some of these places as well if you've got a tender/paddleboard to get you ashore. Enjoy the trip.

Just saw this posted on Facebook and it looks accurate based on my reading of DFO’s confusing fisheries notice. Anyways, looks like a few options to fish in and around toba inlet and surrounding areas.

Attachments

• 65CBFBBD-8374-4D26-B6D1-E4763303072F.png
    65CBFBBD-8374-4D26-B6D1-E4763303072F.png
    449.2 KB · Views: 116
Just saw this posted on Facebook and it looks accurate based on my reading of DFO’s confusing fisheries notice. Anyways, looks like a few options to fish in and around toba inlet and surrounding areas.
It is as accurate as such a high level look can be. I believe at the bottom there is a disclaimer that it isnt for legal or navigation purposes ?

CR Greg

Area 13-9 Frances bay is good on both sides of the bay but not worth trolling around in the bay pretty stagnant tide but good anchorage. Local guides call the north side BFR Black f.....g rock. Heading south down Pryce channel is Elizabeth island troll between the island and the green marker this spot is better on the flood tide. It’s a short tack but the nooks get pushed in there on the flood tide. Both these spot you can keep 1 Chinook a day as per Last Call post.

Enjoy the area.

in that case Toba Wilderness is a great spot to boat camp for a night or two. They open June 1. Fishing can be good then as well and many jig for salmon just off the dock at toba but with the new regs I think you'll need to head up the inlet a bit to ensure you're fishing in an 'open' area. Check the regs. Just bring a few buzz bombs or other favourite jigs and keep an eye on sounder for fish. Super fun way to catch fish if you haven't done it before.

Assuming you have Navionics on your iphone/ipad you can plan your trip nicely if so. A few common boat camping spots would be: Prideaux Haven (not as busy in June); Toba Wilderness; Roscoe Bay; tip of Pendrell Sound (warm water later in summer); Teakearne Arm (cassel lake); Refuge Cove (supplies/fuel); Octopus Island; Owen Bay; Gorge Harbour (fuel/restaurants). There are tons of other spots of course but these are some of the more common anchorages for boats at anchor. June will be a nice time to go as not as busy at some of these common spots, though the water won't be as warm for swimming if you're into that. Lots of good hikes into lakes at some of these places as well if you've got a tender/paddleboard to get you ashore. Enjoy the trip.

Is there any spots that would be good for overnight tenting up that way? I have a smaller boat and not really great for sleeping on or anchoring but would like to spend a few days in DS sound this year, wondering if it's even possible to tie up somewhere and pitch a tent or maybe its all private docks? Thanks for any info

We spent a very nice couple of nights at Refuge Cove last summer.

The new restaurant is great, spotlessly clean bathrooms, laundry facilities. Used book wall. I am going to take some up and leave them this year.

The grocery tackle shop was pretty low on food supplies day one but the supply boat came in later that day and things were back to normal.

I paid my $25.00 and bought my life membership in the Desolation Sound Yacht Club.

You get a hat.

Later on our trip we were in Maple Bay and this fellow came over and asked me if Americans were allowed to join the club.

I told him yes, then explained it was just a hat. He thought that was great and he was going to buy a bunch of hats, make up some ******** paperwork and give Founding Member Documentation to a few of his US buds for Christmas. When I told him they also had a Burgee , he nearly lost his mind.

Take a run up to Toba Inlet. You can fish in Waddington Channel or Brettell Point.
Stay at Toba Wilderness a night or 2. Is absolutely beautiful and you can fish right off the wharf. Caught a 16 pound chinook on Buzz bomb last year in August. June is more prime time

View attachment 77631
Some of my most epic days have been fishing in front of that place.

Is there any spots that would be good for overnight tenting up that way? I have a smaller boat and not really great for sleeping on or anchoring but would like to spend a few days in DS sound this year, wondering if it's even possible to tie up somewhere and pitch a tent or maybe its all private docks? Thanks for any info

Tenedos Bay has good camping and close to Unwin Lake.

Tenedos Bay has good camping and close to Unwin Lake.
yup, some good spots at that link. In the past I've also camped a several non-designated camp spots throughout desolation sound as well. Just dropped the hook near the shoreline and paddled in and set up a tent. There's a few sneaky good camp spots even in the super busy areas like Prideaux Haven, etc. You can just explore around the shoreline where the bigger boats can't and look for a spot. Not always the most even platform / rock to set up on but if you have an air mattress it can be great.

Back