Denman Island Prawning/Fishing

bigbruce

Crew Member
Going to (finally) get my new (to me) boat in the water on Friday. Anyone know of any good spots to drop some traps and spend a few hours fishing around Denman Island?

Took my new boat out on Sunday and I seen lots of traps by the Denman Island ferry. There were a couple of boats sitting there probably watching their traps as I think there is a high theft rate there. Some guys also dump traps near Flora off the end of Hornby.

Thanks for the tips NI. Think I saw you coming across the 17th st bridge on Sunday afternoon. How did the maiden voyage go? You had lots of rods hanging off that thing!
Bruce

Ya I launched at Union Bay but didn't watch my tides and had to go over to comox to take her out. Maiden voyage went well. Got to test her out in some rougher waters off the end of Hornby. Looking forward to this season on the water. Good luck on Friday.

A lot of people (with 4 wheel drive trucks) use the deep channel next to the breakwater to get their boats in and out at the Union Bay ramp when the tides aren't right. I used it myself once. A bit tricky with no formal ramp or float, but doable.

Going to (finally) get my new (to me) boat in the water on Friday. Anyone know of any good spots to drop some traps and spend a few hours fishing around Denman Island?
Most steady for prawns is between Whaling Stn Bay and Flora at 300',usually OK for springs there at 160'-220'

A lot of people (with 4 wheel drive trucks) use the deep channel next to the breakwater to get their boats in and out at the Union Bay ramp when the tides aren't right. I used it myself once. A bit tricky with no formal ramp or float, but doable.

That channel when I came in was dry so there was no chance of getting boat out. Would have had to submerge my truck.

Was prawning at denman ferry Saturday.....wasn't the greatest and a lot of people out......theft is horrid at best here if you leave your traps un attended.....also a lot of people seem to like setting their gear across everyone else.

Went for a boat ride today - first in my new (to me) boat. Launched a Comox and ran down Denman and around Chrome, intending to go around Hornby and try Whaling Station Bay area for prawns and salmon. But - it kinda blew up and got pretty uncomfortable, so we ducked inside Hornby, had lunch and headed back. All in all, even though we didn't do any prawning of fishing, I did get to try out most of the stuff on my boat and was quite happy with the result.

Big bruce. Kudos!!. I was working at point holmes today. I had a great view of the straight. It really blew up around 2ish. It looked nasty out there . What size boat do you have? Must have been a great boat ride back or at least a good sea trial.

Thanks, HT. It's a Striper 2101 and I was very impressed with the way it handled in water conditions that deteriorated quite quickly. The ride was a bit rough, but no where near as bad as it would have been in my old boat - a Campion 542 Explorer. The 542 was a great boat, but I suspect we would have been pretty well beaten up after the ride back this afternoon.

Back