Demutualization benefit

scott craven

If you happen to get what looks like a piece of junk mail with a check attached, don't throw it away. Apparently over 600,000 people in Canada got this benefit. Something to do with insurance restructuring.

Great news for some. The only issue is that approx. 36% is to be taxed as an eligible dividend and the remaining as an ineligible dividend. Still good news but not entirely tax free. Based on 2020 about $500-600?

This came about because of Economical Mutual 's demutualization. It is changing from a Mutual (policyholder owned company) to a Stock Company. This happened to the majority of Canadian Life Insurance Companies. Sun, Manulife, Mutual , Maritime the list goes on.

Economical is the first of the P&C (Property and Casualty ) companies to do this, they won't be the last.

The cynic in me thinks policyholders lose out in the long term, and executive comp increases.

My wife and I both got cheques.

Stosh, stay positive man. Lol, I did tell my wife that we may pay for this down the road.

Last edited:
This came about because of Economical Mutual 's demutualization. It is changing from a Mutual (policyholder owned company) to a Stock Company. This happened to the majority of Canadian Life Insurance Companies. Sun, Manulife, Mutual , Maritime the list goes on.

Economical is the first of the P&C (Property and Casualty ) companies to do this, they won't be the last.

The cynic in me thinks policyholders lose out in the long term, and executive comp increases.

My wife and I both got cheques.
I had a policy 4+ years ago and since switched from Family to Intact and still got a check for 1200 bucks! 'Twas a Christmas miracle

I'm happy for you people, but the question is if you bought life insurance and didn't die, how much did you really make?

I had a life insurance policy with Manulife when they demutalized. I received about $35K in Manulife shares as a result of the process.

Back