DeMamiel Creek Coho Count

tigerprawn

The last 2 days the Sooke Salmon Enhancement Society has been counting Coho at the weir at Youngs Lake. According to DFO this creek can only support 700 adult coho.
In 2 days they have counted 673 adults and 3 chinooks. This is early and the main body of fish come in early November.
This could be the last big year of Coho for this system with no water storage.
There is a petition at your local tackle stores to DFO to stop the madness of no water storage.
I will keep you posted on the numbers. Thank you for your support :eek:

Its sickening. Ill go sign tomorrow after my last coho fish :)

edit, probly closed tomorrow, ill sign it monday :)

Update after the first week of returns to DeMamiel Creek, The Hatchery has counted just under 1300 coho and some springs. Not too many fin clip coho yet. We hope you guys caught them out in the salt chuck. Don't forget to sign the petition at your local tackle shop to save the Bill James Dam.

The Jack Brooks Hatchery has now completed its Coho brood stock for this season. The count has been stopped and the Coho keep coming. As we all know the creek according to DFO can only produce 700 adults that will return. The watershed this year will have close to 5000 coho again when said and done.

700 will be maximum returns once the dam is out and the resulting summer die off is taken into account. So why are we getting so upset that is only about an 85% drop in numbers. Seems about on par with their success rate every where else. The numbers have to be on the decline otherwise we would be so disappointed if we didn't get the annual bad news about possible further fishing restrictions as numbers plummet.

700 will be maximum returns once the dam is out and the resulting summer die off is taken into account. So why are we getting so upset that is only about an 85% drop in numbers. Seems about on par with their success rate every where else. The numbers have to be on the decline otherwise we would be so disappointed if we didn't get the annual bad news about possible further fishing restrictions as numbers plummet.
DFO need to packup and leave this coast and let the locals and people who care look after this precious resource.

The lastest from DeMamiel creek is all of its seasonal creek and road side ditches have Coho in them. Good news but the computer modelers at DFO say it can not be true. Come on out and have a look I know its hard to leave your nice warm office and fish numbers video games.:D

When is deadline for to sign the petition? I hope I am not too late, I would like to support it. I hope we had enough people sign up for it.

Signed the one at wise buys the other day and was shocked to only see about a dozen signatures. Cmon guys get in there and sign it!

-KK

Can someone set up an on-line petition to be sent directly to Minister Assfield?

Back