Defeated by p trap union.

No problem sweetie, I will drop the p trap and clean it out..... will only take a few minutes. No. Rental app't and probably 6 or 7 years old. ABS p trap with union under sink basin. Undo the compression nut on basin tail piece, undo the nut for the p trap union and the union just will not come apart. What the hell is it glued? No, pry wiggle, bit of water whizzes out, tap tap, bang, pry, twist, nope. Looking at the angle of the dangle between the tailpiece and the p trap it must have been a struggle to get the two parts together. Any way put it back together, pull out the stopper and remove guck, re install, plunge vigorously with my just purchased plunger and at least some satisfaction, drain swirls and functions reasonably well. Most annoying getting defeated by simple tasks. What would a plumber do in this case?
Regards,
Alan

That would be my inclination for sure if it were not a rental. Not sure what sort of magic was holding that bloody union from coming apart though. Phooey.

I bought a product like this from Home Depot to clean my drains
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/2-piece-drain-cleaning-tool/421217

80-911-112_7.jpg

The one I got was white and has bards down both sides.
Just run it down the sink or bath drain and it cleans hair and misc gunk.
Follow up with some plunging and good as new.
Oh I'm not plumber... LOL

Not really sure what you're asking here?? Did you fix the problem when you took apart the trap and cleaned it out? Is it now leaking after you put it back together? If the problem is fixed and the trap isn't leaking why would you do anything? Rarely is the problem (which isn't really explained what initially caused you to take it apart) located in the trap anyway. If it's slow draining, it's usually hair built up in the pop-up assembly.

If the drain is "swirling" and functioning well, leave it alone. A plumber wouldn't do anything else. I would know, I am one.

Good luck.

No problem sweetie, I will drop the p trap and clean it out..... will only take a few minutes. No. Rental app't and probably 6 or 7 years old. ABS p trap with union under sink basin. Undo the compression nut on basin tail piece, undo the nut for the p trap union and the union just will not come apart. What the hell is it glued? No, pry wiggle, bit of water whizzes out, tap tap, bang, pry, twist, nope. Looking at the angle of the dangle between the tailpiece and the p trap it must have been a struggle to get the two parts together. Any way put it back together, pull out the stopper and remove guck, re install, plunge vigorously with my just purchased plunger and at least some satisfaction, drain swirls and functions reasonably well. Most annoying getting defeated by simple tasks. What would a plumber do in this case?
Regards,
Alan

Back