deep trolling reels

T

taxmax

When I was out fishing on Lk St Clair in MI, my dad and I used old
deep trolling reels that attached to the side of the boat with brackets and used a steel line that you attached the jig to and a large sinker. The technique was to slow troll and feed the line off of the reel by hand and bounce the sinker off of the bottom and work the line in and out until you felt a strike. The reels were large at about 10" diameter. Some old-timers had some actually made with
old crank phonograph winders in wooden boxes. They used to be available as manufactured items thru tackle companies (A&S Stamping
was one). A lot of fishermen nowdays don't recognize the techniques.
I am looking to sell the old reels to someone who knows the style.

Does anyone know about fishing with these reels and have any idea as
to the value?

Thanx

TOM

Tom, I sent you an e-mail.

My great grandfather fished this way in the Great Lakes and Finger Lakes of NY, and the method has been handed down to me. I can't believe someone else is familiar with the reels, Victrola phonograph winder, and wooden boxes, not to mention the "lost" technique (which takes a lot of work and a unique knowledge of the "feel").

I am interested in what you have. If nothing, for sentimental reasons and passing down the technique to my own children.

Nowhere (at least where I have fished) is this equipment illegal. I suppose if downriggers or hand-line trolling is illegal in your particular area, then they could be in question.

I learned handlining fron my Uncle on the Detroit River where it is still used today. He had designed many lures the most productive was called the Dirty Gertie, named after his sister-in-law. I am interested in these reels as I want to introduce my son to this sport.

great way to bottom fish halibuts around victoria but watch the snags, use anchovy and you get spring salmons as a bonus.no more than 2.2 lbs and it is legal.

Back