dead skiff to fishing boat

tubber

What do people think this former seine skiff would need done to it to make it a useful 2 person fishing boat? It is heavy duty, but flat bottomed. It would be used off Sooke and inshore waters. Would you use it 1-5 miles offshore?. It is 16' and 6' beam. Would 40 horses be enough? I really value the knowledge of many members of this board.
See photo by pasting all this into the address line of the browser

https://webmail.shaw.ca/attach/dead...ilename=dead skiff & power skiff AUC 002.jpg

Thanks

I wouldn't touch anything but a deep V for westcoast fishing especially offshore of any sorts. Could you imagine pounding through 3-4 foot chop in a flat bottom boat? You'd break your back!

Sorry about the link. I'll try to fix it. Been in Winnipeg. Ice fishing is not for me.

Yep, you could make that one into a good little centre console. And the aluminium is almost worth that. It looks like a flatter bottom, it would be a bit bumpy, but there are only so many ways to make a 16 foot boat. Definatley not the Swiftsure Special, but if you get cheap power and rig it up, let's just say that boat will outlive you.

put some air ride suspension seats in it you will need them

quote:Originally posted by tubber

Thanks for the feedback. LC, can you explain the term deadrise?
Merry Christmas to all.

A measurement of how deep the hull is from the chine at the transom. I have to draw a picture, it's basicly how pointy the bottom of the hull is. Deeper hull = smoother ride PROVIDED you have enough weight to keep that bouyant hull down in the water. If the bottome of the boat slops up 15 degrees from a line drawn horizontally across the back of the boat paralell to the groud, that is your deadrise. Deeper=smoother, but more rolly-polly at reast, and of course, more fuel burnt.

Gotcha. This boat is flattish on the bottom so it can be hauled up on the stern of seine boat, or set on the deck, or atop the fishold. A V-hull would make it awkward to balance on top of anything. I like it because it can take a lot of abuse and has some floataion in the 2 benches and the bow. I know the ride will be bumpy but it should be stable enough for the situations I use an 11 foot Whaler in now.

hey lastchance are you saying a deepV uses more fuel than a non V? dont know anything on the subject any info is great, and wow you got tons of info in that brain of yours, did u upgrade it at the shop?? ;)

quote:Originally posted by dohboy

hey lastchance are you saying a deepV uses more fuel than a non V? dont know anything on the subject any info is great, and wow you got tons of info in that brain of yours, did u upgrade it at the shop?? ;)

Nope, I actually turn what's left of my brain OFF at that shop. With a deep vee hull, first off, you have lots more wetted area, which means more surface drag. Second off, planing boats lift out of the water, with more deep-vee, the more power you need to lift it out. Gallons=Horsepower. Ask anyone that owns a bigger Grady White, deep vee, good ride, BURNS FUEL. Now, this doesn't really assert itself till you hit bigger boats (21 ft and up), because you need lots of weight to keep that thing stable due to the extra bouyancy of the extra water displacement provided by the deeper vee in the hull. Water weighs 65 pounds per foot, so if your boot weights 1000 pounds, you need 65 square feet of water to be pushed out of the way at the waterline.

This is why you don't get 20+ degree deadrise boats untill you get into the bigger ones that will do that by nature of their weight (19 feet and up), otherwise, they will flop over on their side to a degree (Certain Harborcraft Kingfishers come to mind for this, I see lots of 'em at at 5 degree list when no fuel is onboard). A boat will only sink down untill it has displaced it's weight in water, then it will stop.

I think you would be better off with a boat that already has trailer,motor and boat say a 17 double eagle or sangster etc
You start adding up 2 grand for that boat another 2 for a motor and a grand for a trailer probaly another 2 grand with toys I know you would get a great deal spending that kid of money on something else
heres one!!!!

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/2316475&category=power-boats

Good luck Wolf

Thanks Wolf. I know it'll be several thousands more to get fully rigged up. I still don't have the wife's go ahead yet anyway with a kid headed to university next year. The last time I was in a fiberglass boat something like the one in your photom, I was a kid in 1974. My Grandpa got his homemade concrete cannonball on the end of his homemade downrigger fetched up on a reef in Porlier Pass. The tide was running and waves started coming over the stern. They were screaming at each other in German until he finally cut the wire. I learned 3 things that day: lots of new German curse words, don't use heavy commercial wire on a little boat, and avoid little fiberglass runabouts in tricky waters.

Yeah, Porlier can be a nasty strip! I rember heading up there sometime in the month of June, and being able to see the water on the other side to be HIGHER then the water I was approaching from (The inside near Secretary, the REAL Secratary Island). Quite impressive really, like Nitinat, except deep and without the lethal surf!

Back