David Hahn calling 'er quits!

Don't knock Hahn because of his salary or pensiuon (which may be excessive, god knows I'm jealous, but our govenment appointed board -hence the people- approved), but for the political limitations to his role.
Under his stewardship, but perhaps not because of his actions, the fleet has been updated.
You've got a service that loses money on 80 or 90% of its routes, but isn't allowed to curtail services on any of them for fear of alienating voters.
As Cuba Libre noted above, $30,000,000 for a terminal to serve Hornby and Denman (sorry Cuba, don't know enough about that, so using your figures) ... WTF
Either 30 mil don't buy much or theres a political benefit.
Much like the Gulf Islands - does Saltspring really need to be treated like a Victoria commuter suburb, with multiple sailings from Swartz Bay and Tsawassen, or like the isolated piece of BC it advertises itself to be.

Now 5 sheets out and still typing.

Yep, read some documents about how the new version of BC ferries was set up and the government still has its fingers in the pie. Terminals can't be closed or reduced in any significant capacity, just one of the clauses. Mill bay would and should have been gone a long time ago if you want to eliminate a loss leader...David wanted to but couldn't.

Sorry, nice guy or not, you do not deserve a million dollars a year running a publicly funded corp that is bleeding cash. If he'd found a way to make it put money into the coffers, sure, give the man a bonus. But a million a year plus bonus for sh*t performance is just sick.

Sorry, nice guy or not, you do not deserve a million dollars a year running a publicly funded corp that is bleeding cash. If he'd found a way to make it put money into the coffers, sure, give the man a bonus. But a million a year plus bonus for sh*t performance is just sick.

I could be incorrect.....but the million is salary AND bonus combined.

Has BCFerries EVER been "profitable"? I have lived out here for 16 years and don't ever recall hearing it running in the "black" before or after Hahn?

Look at what we pay our politicians....at all levels who can't run a balanced budget and they as a HUGE collective run a WAY bigger deficit than Hahn does.

This guy is going to get a huge pension and/or severence which will cost us more than if he just stayed on. Lose/Lose situation.

This guy is going to get a huge pension and/or severence which will cost us more than if he just stayed on. Lose/Lose situation.

NOT severance.....he gets his pension regardless but forfeits the salary from the remainder of his contract.

I think he is just smart to leave early. It's only going to get worse with more government money needed to keep the ferries afloat. The downturn in the world's economy's isn't ending anytime soon and ridership will continue to fall. All at a time that capital is still needed to finish the building of new vessels to replace those at the end of their service life. Get out and let the politicians deal with the heat that surely will continue to grow as more money is needed. Like Pippen said BC Ferries has never made money, too many smaller money sucking routes.
HEY what about those subs? We've owned them 10 years, they have cost nothing but money...the submariners who were around when we bought them have retired by now. Not bad, a salary and military pension and never been under water. LOL

You fellas are right I think, the ferries have never make a profit. But I don't think that was ever their purpose. I'm pretty sure the ferry system is there to facilitate travel along the coastal and island regions of the province at a rate that most British Columbians can afford. Now, it definitely makes sense to make them as close to profitable as possible, but not to the point where average people can't afford it. Anyway, I don't really have an opinion on Hahn the man or Hahn the business leader, but I am peeved that our current regime would rather funnel money out of the country to build new ferries in Europe rather than create good jobs at home by building theme here. That is bad leadership, and I suspect Hahn played a role in it.

Not too sure on profits... I do recall hearing on the news the other day that 2 quarters ago, the company profited $ 0.9 million. Not much, but a profit nonetheless. Then last quarter, they were in the red by $4million.

I guess what I am saying is there is definitely quarters that they do well, but overall they sh*t the bed!

Just bring back the original clam chowder from the 70's, and the sunshine breakfast , and everything will be cool again

Hahn was in charge when BC Ferries appeared on the Rogers arena scoreboard and the boards around the rink. Not to mention the private booth and shatloads of tickets.That stunk.
The tourists don't make or break your ridership.
They need to sell books of 5 or 10 tickets to local people that frequent the ferry for whatever reason, at a discount, even 10%, and ridership will go up.
And if you can't stay ontime due to" traffic delays" then change the schedule.

Those are some great ideas guys. Probably won't get used just for that reason, they make sense.

I seriously don't think a 10% discount will have people running to the ferries. A night in Van and a hockey game would go from $600 to $575. Nobody is spending money right now, most of the people I talk to in business are all in survival mode.

"most of the people I talk to in business are all in survival mode"

Pro, most of the people who patronize business are in survival mode too. We've been taxed, fee'd and surcharged to the point where no one has disposable income left for a charter, hockey game or whatever. As a born and raised Vic boy all I ever wanted in a ferry system was to get on and off the rock as cheaply and conviently as possible. Well the convience looks like it's headed elsewhere and the cheap part sailed away a few years back.
Tip

Just build a bridge in order to quit the hostage taking and to ultimately stop the transit monopoly. It's obvious that the lawful extension of the Trans-CANADA highway has become an absolute corporate fraud.

DHA.

If only they would tell everyone what the money was wasted on...and that money was just not thrown away, as it is. BC Ferries would be in great shape. Ever seen how much management is used to run just a few boats and crew? Ever seen how much money is spent in feasibility studies? MILLIONS It's not rocket science...Why does the media lets most of it slip???Bet it's because of $$$$ in advertising...You think? Bet it includes more then just media....

I'll take the job, even give them a discount on my salary. Put in a good word for me and here's what I would do.....I'll bring back the late night overheight ferries at 50% discount. I would run them from Tswassen to Duke so no one could cry rivers over the noise. That would help kick start tourism. Kids under 12 would ride free to also encourage tourism. I would also give a discount to Island residents to get them going to the mainland and spending their money. Need to fill those boats by cutting down the rates. As I see it we are better to run a full boat at lower rates and make some money than a 1/2 full boat losing money. I would also eliminate the BC Ferries Tourism marketing group...what's the point, anyone going to the Island or North knows how to get there. I would also turn those high price reading rooms into movie theatres - give them something good to do instead of charging $10 to sit and read...I can do that for free. Last, I would eliminate the free ferry passes for employees and their families.

And if I was the government I would change out the Board of Directors and hire people for the board that have an ounce of common sense.

Back