D S C Calling

Can anyone tell me what the deal is with hooking up my g p s to my radio? I have everything conected, and am getting the lat. long.to read on the radio. some one told me that once you hook up the system you then have to register it with the coast gaurd.I thought that once you are connected, if you hit the switch anyone in range with the same system hooked up will get your distress call to show up on their screen, even the coast gaurd if within range. Thanks

Here is a better link for what you need:

http://www.ic.gc.ca/epic/site/smt-gst.nsf/en/sf01032e.html

CPC-2-3-07 - Maritime Mobile Service Identities (MMSIs)
Issue 7
May 2007

Spectrum Management and Telecommunications

Client Procedures Circular

Maritime Mobile Service Identities (MMSIs) (PDF - 72 KB - 19 pages)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Preface
Client Procedures Circulars describe the various procedures or processes to be followed by the public when dealing with Industry Canada. The information contained in these circulars is subject to change without notice. It is therefore suggested that interested persons consult the nearest district office of Industry Canada for additional details. While every reasonable effort has been made to ensure accuracy, no warranty is expressed or implied. As well, these circulars have no status in law.

For inquiries regarding MMSIs, please contact your nearest Industry Canada district office. Completed MMSI applications should be submitted to the district office in person, by regular mail, e-mail or facsimile. To determine which Industry Canada office is nearest to you, please consult Radiocommunication Information Circular 66, Addresses and Telephone Numbers of Regional and District Offices (RIC-66), found at http://ic.gc.ca/epic/site/smt-gst.nsf/en/sf01742e.html.

General comments and suggestions related to Client Procedures Circulars may be directed to the following address:

Industry Canada
Radiocommunications and
Broadcasting Regulatory Branch
300 Slater Street
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0C8

Attention: DOSP

E-mail: spectrum_pubs@ic.gc.ca

All Spectrum Management and Telecommunications publications are available on the following website: http://ic.gc.ca/spectrum.

I faxed my application in last year and had my number back by email, 24 hours later. Great service for a gonvernment office!

Go to the linked page - there are applications listed there.

One of the great aspects of DSC is the ability to make boat to boat calls. You preprogram in the MMSI number of your buddies boats and you can make a completely private call using DSC. No more talking in code!

quote:Originally posted by beemer

One of the great aspects of DSC is the ability to make boat to boat calls. You preprogram in the MMSI number of your buddies boats and you can make a completely private call using DSC. No more talking in code!

Not entirely true. DSC will allow you to call privately and arrange to meet on a talk channel or to send your lat & long, and display on your chartplotter, but verbal conversations are still in the open. DSC does not change that.

If you want private communications, then you have to get a radio capable of scrambling and your buddy has to have one able to decode the signal. Or, got to digital communications and text.

How do you know if you have configured everything properly, other than hit that little red button?

quote:Originally posted by Klob

How do you know if you have configured everything properly, other than hit that little red button?

Read the radio manual. You should be able to bring up your MMSI number.

Also, be carefull that you set this properly. Some radios limit the number of times you can reset this number. Too many times and you will have to send it back to the factory to reset it again.

If you have a buddy with a DSC radio, then practice with him for sending messages, etc. It is not the easiest thing to do when you have to push a bunch of tiny buttons in a moving boat. Especially if you have to check with the manual while doing it.

Back