Cuttlefish Hoochies?

Okay, here are some newly rigged weapons. I used Mustad 95170 5/0 stainless hooks and glow beads in all but one. It's hard to find bigger inserts, but I like the glow beads in the white one. The 60 pound line is indeed stiff.

Attachments

• IMG-3649.JPG
    IMG-3649.JPG
    229.6 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG-3652.JPG
    IMG-3652.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG-3653.JPG
    IMG-3653.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG-3654.JPG
    IMG-3654.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG-3655.JPG
    IMG-3655.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG-3656.JPG
    IMG-3656.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 136
When I fished on a Hi-liner west coast troller, Oki or Hot Spot flasher and a 42 inch tail was the go-to ticket.

Leader length will change given what type of leader you are using? Was that 42" leader with 80 pound line? If I use 60 pound leader, would I not shorten my leader vs using 80 pound?

This should probably be in a "Crap You Find Buried in Your Tacklebox" thread, but last summer I found a couple of thin metal blades in mine that were intended to have their tapered barbed rear-end inserted ithrough the head of a hoochie, and provide the action instead of just relying on the motion imparted by the flasher. Rather than being inserted into the head, they project in front of it. I rigged one with an Army Truck Glo Octopus on a 6-foot 40-lb mono leader like I would an anchovy, adjusted the action beside the boat by tweaking the blade angle a little, and it produced like crazy.

I have no idea what they're called or where I got them, but they take the issue of finding the right leader length in different leader weights and materials right out of the equation. Unfortunately, I didn't find any more in my tackle-box's basement, although I was reminded of when Apexes were my go-to lures. Maybe it's time to resurrect a couple of those!

Now, if I could just find some more of those metal hoochie heads...

100%, just like hearing about tactics from veterans like Aces and yourself.
Always thought I could bucktail on the surface and have a plug down deeper, since the trolling speeds are similar
Do you have any tubby Tomic's? If you have some regular and tubby, you can match the speed you need if using other gear at the same time. Tubby trolls slower, regular trolls faster etc.

Do you have any tubby Tomic's? If you have some regular and tubby, you can match the speed you need if using other gear at the same time. Tubby trolls slower, regular trolls faster etc.
I’m always looking for reason to add more tackle, time for some Tubby’s, I only have the classics

Back