Cut Plugging for Seals

jimbob

Has anyone ever been using cut plug herring for halibut and hooked a seal in the process? We did today and it wasn't fun. We didn't get our gear back but we were able to cut the line close to the boat so we did not lose much.

Did catch a seal on a pink squirt. A baby seal to be more exact.
Brought it to the boat and clubbed it.

JUST kidding :D:D

Was fishing with the kids and poor bugger was not much bigger than a cat. Rather cute. Pulled the hook out of its mouth and let it go.
Maybe the critter will remember me when he grows up and spares my tackle LOL
cheers

Did catch a seal on a pink squirt. A baby seal to be more exact.
Brought it to the boat and clubbed it.

JUST kidding :D:D

Was fishing with the kids and poor bugger was not much bigger than a cat. Rather cute. Pulled the hook out of its mouth and let it go.
Maybe the critter will remember me when he grows up and spares my tackle LOL
cheers

yep lol hooked one this summer....thought it was either a MONSTER or a shark lol....that was until it ran towards the shore....and onto the rocks...

yep lol hooked one this summer....thought it was either a MONSTER or a shark lol....that was until it ran towards the shore....and onto the rocks...

Hooked one once on buzz bomb spin casting off the rocks at otter point.When he hit ,thought it was a 50lber with its head shakes.When he surfaced he spooled me.

Hooked one once on buzz bomb spin casting off the rocks at otter point.When he hit ,thought it was a 50lber with its head shakes.When he surfaced he spooled me.

Brought my uncle from alberta out years ago halibut fishing at constance. Seal took my herring off the bottom of 170 ft. Thought it was a monster halibut and we both took turns fighting it. After a couple of runs to the surface and back down i knew it was not a halibut and when i finally seen some whiskers i knew what it was. :(

I said "s..t" its a little seal!, he turns to me and with a serious face says "they any good to eat?" [:0]

i immediately cut the line and it swam away with my 2 lb ball and gear

Brought my uncle from alberta out years ago halibut fishing at constance. Seal took my herring off the bottom of 170 ft. Thought it was a monster halibut and we both took turns fighting it. After a couple of runs to the surface and back down i knew it was not a halibut and when i finally seen some whiskers i knew what it was. :(

I said "s..t" its a little seal!, he turns to me and with a serious face says "they any good to eat?" [:0]

i immediately cut the line and it swam away with my 2 lb ball and gear

Caught a porpoise on a flasher once, there was a group playing around the boat. The line started peeling out at an insane rate of speed and then just stopped at around 250 yards. Reeled in the gear and there were huge teeth marks on the flasher.

TT

Caught a porpoise on a flasher once, there was a group playing around the boat. The line started peeling out at an insane rate of speed and then just stopped at around 250 yards. Reeled in the gear and there were huge teeth marks on the flasher.

TT

I once hooked a sea lion with a 30 lb spring. This was in Craig Alaska. Thought we had the mother of all salmon...until it breached. Then I just started cursing like a portuguese sailor.

I once hooked a sea lion with a 30 lb spring. This was in Craig Alaska. Thought we had the mother of all salmon...until it breached. Then I just started cursing like a portuguese sailor.

Same as tyee in july fishing was slow. A friend and i put in 10hours straight nothin to show. About 8 hours in we hit one mid teens get it to the boat and danm seal grabs it. We were pissed and didnt want to lose the one fish. Chased it 15 mins it was getting tired as we stayed overtop. We chase it up on the rocks and the danm thing doesnt even have my fish. It was hooked in the back of the head. Also saw one bite a friends flasher it actually broke it in half with teeth marks.

Same as tyee in july fishing was slow. A friend and i put in 10hours straight nothin to show. About 8 hours in we hit one mid teens get it to the boat and danm seal grabs it. We were pissed and didnt want to lose the one fish. Chased it 15 mins it was getting tired as we stayed overtop. We chase it up on the rocks and the danm thing doesnt even have my fish. It was hooked in the back of the head. Also saw one bite a friends flasher it actually broke it in half with teeth marks.

hooked into one jigging, and another off kirby point on a 5.0 copcar. Tried to net the one my dad had on jigging a few years back and the thing nearly pulled me over the side when it bit the rim of the net[:p]

and i actualy managed to hook into one that i hit on the head with a 20 yard cast, lost the jig but it was a good shot

hooked into one jigging, and another off kirby point on a 5.0 copcar. Tried to net the one my dad had on jigging a few years back and the thing nearly pulled me over the side when it bit the rim of the net[:p]

and i actualy managed to hook into one that i hit on the head with a 20 yard cast, lost the jig but it was a good shot

Back