Crossing the Straight, what to avoid?

Cinco Sirenas

Looking for information when crossing from Vancouver to Gabriola/Salt Spring/Nanaimo. Are there any wind directions that are worse than others? How do certain tides effect swell size in the straight? I've fished locally but haven't made the trip across in probably 23 years. 20 FT boat. Thanks

The wood.
We have hit more wood this year than any other year, pretty disconcerting when it happens. (Maybe it’s the blindness?)
Wood likes to hang out with other pieces of wood so if you see some nearby be extra vigilant.
And get the windy app if you don’t have it.
Others can better advise on wind etc but if it’s under 15 you should generally be ok.

The wood.
We have hit more wood this year than any other year, pretty disconcerting when it happens. (Maybe it’s the blindness?)
Wood likes to hang out with other pieces of wood so if you see some nearby be extra vigilant.
And get the windy app if you don’t have it.
Others can better advise on wind etc but if it’s under 15 you should generally be ok.
Yeah I have the windy app, I have both the red one and the blue one. The blue is more directed at wind surfing I think. When you say 15, is that Km?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220819-165309_One UI Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20220819-165309_One UI Home.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20220819-165336_One UI Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20220819-165336_One UI Home.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 7
NW or SE over 15 knots (sustained) and I find it can be sporty.

I usually use the gov site to check the buoy wave heights for English bay and halibut bank. If it’s at .6 or above I’d avoid it unless your crew and boat are up for it. These numbers are deceiving as generally a .6 meter wave wouldn’t be an issue. But anyway as mentioned used windy and predict wind and watch the weather for the hours before and during your trip.

Look at tide direction, factoring in wind direction. A strong ebb tide and a SE wind of more the 10 knots can make for a long rough ride. Alternatively a flood and a strong NW, will be the same. SE usually coincides with rain (low pressure)and NW is sunny days and warmer temps (high pressure).

This is a handy map to look at. Updates every hour.
If you click on a station it will show the trend too

I agree with the 15 knots. Anything over that will be sporty.
As you can see on this map at 5pm today the wind is coming from completely different directions at YVR, Georgia Strait, and Entrance.
You will almost always encounter multiple conditions as you cross

AC748913-4683-4AD3-A0B4-E2DCE5116E60.png

The red one. It measures in knots. Scroll down and click on waves. Then you get waves and swell also, not just wind speed.
I've used that app for years and only used it for wing speed and direction. Good call in checking the wave height. Looks good for a Sunday AM crossing from thunderbird to Gabriola, 9 kts but wave height is calling for .1 meter

I just look at the live recordings from halibut bank and Georgia strait and have at it. You'll have no issues at all if it's less than 12 knots sustained. Beyond 15 hold on...over 20 gtfo of there.

I also agree there is more debris this year than in ages. Most out of the Fraser due to all the rains in spring. I nailed a gigantic deadhead log that was horizontal and submerged. Fortunately for me, I nailed it exactly where it was totally hollow with just the bark holding it together. No damage, but could have been a season ender.

You could poll others on the board to see if anyone else if running across at the same time as a buddy boat too. It's a gigantic body of water and you can feel lonely the first few times. But it's no big deal, just take it easy and you'll be across in no time.

I just look at the live recordings from halibut bank and Georgia strait and have at it. You'll have no issues at all if it's less than 12 knots sustained. Beyond 15 hold on...over 20 gtfo of there.

I also agree there is more debris this year than in ages. Most out of the Fraser due to all the rains in spring. I nailed a gigantic deadhead log that was horizontal and submerged. Fortunately for me, I nailed it exactly where it was totally hollow with just the bark holding it together. No damage, but could have been a season ender.

You could poll others on the board to see if anyone else if running across at the same time as a buddy boat too. It's a gigantic body of water and you can feel lonely the first few times. But it's no big deal, just take it easy and you'll be across in no time.
Damn, that would have me rattled...
I will have my radio in case things go south, for us or for anyone else in distress.

Damn, that would have me rattled...
I will have my radio in case things go south, for us or for anyone else in distress.

Thing with crossing the strait is you have lots of time to decide to turn back. For me, I'm up and down that thing all the time. I leave from Mosquito creek marina and if I feel swells before I cross the lions gate then I know I'm in deep trouble. Crossing point atinknson, Roger Curtis and Gower in the wrong conditions can be a real pita.

So, if I'm seeing swells before I'm even past stanley Park I head out to the center of the bay so I can cut into Howe sound and come back out at Gower if needed. When this is brewing, I know the boat is getting a wash.

Oh and when you look at the live stations, take note at the wave period. If it's say .5m and under 3 seconds you're gonna bounce.

Last edited:
I have tucked in behind the BC Ferries a few times when I had to get back for a commitment. They move pretty good for their size, really flatten the chop. I rode on their stern roller, took some focus to stay on it.

I have tucked in behind the BC Ferries a few times when I had to get back for a commitment. They move pretty good for their size, really flatten the chop. I rode on their stern roller, took some focus to stay on it.
Brilliant!

I would say once you get over 10 knots it is going to be lumpy. Say a 2 foot chop with some bigger ones in there. Obviously some boats will handle the ride better than others. Dont know what you've got.

I also agree there is more debris this year than in ages. Most out of the Fraser due to all the rains in spring.
Yes the beaches around English Bay all have these Birch logs on them from waythehellandgone up in the Interior courtesy of the Fraser.

Some good info in this thread

I met the departure bay boat off Cowan and followed it. It was blowing 25-30. We had to meet the boat hauler to get hauled to Port Alberni, the next morning. I was surprised that they did 27-28 mph the whole way, and there was still a swell. Which made it a fairly challenging crossing still. We we’re in a 27 Monaro. So if you don’t have a fairly seaworthy fast boat you might get left behind in the middle?

I remember someone on the stern, most of the way. I just thought people were watching us?

Back