Critter guards?

Adler

So in August, we put our Raider into a marina in East Sooke for its first extended stay. One day we came to the marina to find that a critter, muskrat or otter presumably, had gotten into the enclosed cabin and made a mess, eating the granola bars and a few snacks. And it stunk. Small piles of crap on the deck etc. We were quite surprised, as the boat was at the very end of a dock and didn't think anything could get into the cabin. But it was easy to identify the point of entry - the gunnels running from cockpit into the cabin, unblocked.

From that point on, we ensured any snacks were put well away or removed from the boat, and we stuffed the holes with available articles. We would like to close these gaps for good though, but wonder if its important to have some air exchange. Maybe a screen of sorts is appropriate.

Anyone else experienced this problem? What was the fix? I am reaching out to the dealer/Raider too. Here are a couple pics of the gap. About 4*6", carpeted on the side, and the starboard side has the wiring running through.

Attachments

• PXL_20211120_192906492.jpg
    PXL_20211120_192906492.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 114
  • PXL_20211120_192921659.jpg
    PXL_20211120_192921659.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 110
So in August, we put our Raider into a marina in East Sooke for its first extended stay. One day we came to the marina to find that a critter, muskrat or otter presumably, had gotten into the enclosed cabin and made a mess, eating the granola bars and a few snacks. And it stunk. Small piles of crap on the deck etc. We were quite surprised, as the boat was at the very end of a dock and didn't think anything could get into the cabin. But it was easy to identify the point of entry - the gunnels running from cockpit into the cabin, unblocked.

but wonder if its important to have some air exchange.
Absolutely. Screen the holes.

I used to think the good Lord placed otters on earth to show us just how cute a creature can be....until they broke into my boat and shat the bed. I now consider them occupying the same rung on the evolutionary ladder as rats——it there’s an entrance point on a boat, they will find it, just like a rat

My favorite moment—-docked my boat in Bamfield; no way to close off the wheelhouse——just a drop curtain. Otters got in there and found a case of apple juice in those waxed boxes. They punctured each box and sprayed their **** and apple juice all over the interior of the wheelhouse. Lord love ‘em....

Problem fixed, thanks to Sherwood who whipped this up while I had boat in for a couple other items.
I have a 2584 Raider and recently had a swallow inside the cabin that managed to poop on the tops of all the seats. I think this solution will work well for my critter problem as well.

I have come to the conclusion if the otters want in , they'll find a way, once I seen what appeared as a bump running down the dock, it was an otter under the dock runner (carpet) running under it , it appeared no way he could get under it but YUP ! he was !

I’ve got a boathouse, so there is no way to block otters from coming into the boathouse because they can just swim in and climb up. I was starting to get them coming in when the boat wasn’t being used much. I discovered that leaving the stereo on low keeps them away. I’ve been doing this for 2 years now and no sign of any otters.

Back