Cracking around outboard mount bolts

I noticed this cracking around the bolts that go through the transom to the lower mounting holes on my outboard. Is this just due to over tightening? Or could the transom be rotting? Also what would be the best route to fixing this. 98 Double Eagle with Yamaha 130. Thanks

Attachments

• CD0C24B4-7AE1-4C51-94D7-8EBD7360B70A.png
    CD0C24B4-7AE1-4C51-94D7-8EBD7360B70A.png
    757.5 KB · Views: 166
  • 553E1EB6-5A8B-4275-9015-A25570A29E6A.png
    553E1EB6-5A8B-4275-9015-A25570A29E6A.png
    746.8 KB · Views: 158
Wait for the off-season and pull the bolts should be able to tell if it's wet in the core. If so there are composite pourable cores. Big job but if you work away at it shouldn't be bad

How's your transom cap on your DE? The metal trim that runs along the back edge. I'd check that as well.

I’d take a pick and stick in into that exposed section in the second photo and see how punky it is but it looks like she’s rotted pretty bad when the bolts start to counter sink into the transom..

transom end of life. I would be willing to bet 1ft circumference from each bolt you have water and delamination issues with a greater tendency below the bolt to be worse than above from gravity pulling the water down. ****** job but probably involves zipping off the skin of the transom from the back and removing the damaged core and then laminating new core back in and then fiberglassing a new skin on the outside. some guys just slam large alum plates on each side and keep er goin. Depends on skills, resale and effort you want to put in. one thing is for certain it needs some attention, not much holding that engine on anymore. Good luck

transom end of life. I would be willing to bet 1ft circumference from each bolt you have water and delamination issues with a greater tendency below the bolt to be worse than above from gravity pulling the water down. ****** job but probably involves zipping off the skin of the transom from the back and removing the damaged core and then laminating new core back in and then fiberglassing a new skin on the outside. some guys just slam large alum plates on each side and keep er goin. Depends on skills, resale and effort you want to put in. one thing is for certain it needs some attention, not much holding that engine on anymore. Good luck
What Myles says , 100%

The good news is would come off quite easy. The older bayliners just had a 3 part transom. Two sides and the motor. Mine the motor board is keyed so it extends into the sides. If I had to do mine I would cut the top cap and deck off and replace the fuel tank as well. Then chainsaw the ply out. Followed by pouring in the 2 part composite.

I like what's mentioned above about laminating a board in. I think it would be a good fix. Just wedge in and use thru clamps and get a solid bond.

The good news is would come off quite easy. The older bayliners just had a 3 part transom. Two sides and the motor. Mine the motor board is keyed so it extends into the sides. If I had to do mine I would cut the top cap and deck off and replace the fuel tank as well. Then chainsaw the ply out. Followed by pouring in the 2 part composite.

I like what's mentioned above about laminating a board in. I think it would be a good fix. Just wedge in and use thru clamps and get a solid bond.
Exactly. Even use the existing motor bolts and make up some tie rod and 2x4 strongbacks to clamp in the new core. I might be able to find a pic to show what I mean. Just wax up the tie rods so they won't bond to resin. It's really important to get a good lamination or it's all for nothing. I'd step up and buy a 1/4 or half sheet of Coosa board if I liked the boat and wanted to keep it for any length of time. Maybe 2X the cost but if your going through all the pain the cost of materials is insignificant.

Exactly. Even use the existing motor bolts and make up some tie rod and 2x4 strongbacks to clamp in the new core. I might be able to find a pic to show what I mean. Just wax up the tie rods so they won't bond to resin. It's really important to get a good lamination or it's all for nothing. I'd step up and buy a 1/4 or half sheet of Coosa board if I liked the boat and wanted to keep it for any length of time. Maybe 2X the cost but if your going through all the pain the cost of materials is insignificant.
I don’t know much about fibreglass work. I’d like to get it properly fixed by a professional. Does anyone have any recommendations on a good fibreglass company? Closer Nanaimo the better

Best place I know of on the island is in Nanaimo see James at Extreme Fiberglass.

I have been to the shop, talked to the owner James. They did some work on my dad's console, they are very good. Worth the money with these guys. If you can pull the motor in advance it might save you a few bucks on labour. You're in good hands.

Back