Crabbing @ French Creek Marina?

F

famograham

Hey everybody.
Do you know if crabbing at the marina is allowed? Are there any spots that would be best, either off the rocks or the docks?
We don't want to try something that's discouraged or not permitted at all.
Getting tired of driving all the way down to the Nanaimo fishing pier.

Or, do you know of any other spots in the Parksville/Qualicum/Nanoose area where we can throw our trap in off the shore/docks?

Thanks!

I would not eat crab from in that marina let alone go in that water! With the way the breakwater is setup there is very little tidal flow. That combined with the plant,commercial rigs and over all, fuel dock ect means the crab are just sitting/feeding in gross conditions.

Good point, I hadn't thought of that. So is there another area around here that you think would be OK?

I wonder if the same applies at the Nanaimo fishing pier. There's the marina there, and the Harbour Air area...hmmm...

I crab off rathtrevor but you need a boat as its a gradual beach and were crabbing around 100ft. There are alot places you can get red rock crab off the shore but dungeness is kinda limited.There might be some off the breakwater at FC near the bay as i see traps out there sometimes. Not sure what the dropoff is like but you could bomb it out there and try.

I think we will try the FC breakwater Kelly, thanks!
Anybody else?

Back