Crabbing at night, closures?

Tyndra

I am sure this has been covered on here before, I just can't find it. On the DFO website it says

"Areas 28 & 29: It is prohibited to fish for crabs from one hour after sunset to one hour before sunrise each day. See Area page for closure map."

But when you look at the map the areas highlighted are only in Area 28. Are these the only areas that are closed to night fishing? If so, why is Area 29 mentioned? If all of areas 29 and 28 are banned then what is the reason for the map? Just reviewing the regulations and this bugs me more than it should.

I am talking specifically of night time closures. The links you provided clearly show the parts of 28 that are closed at night, and Area 29 around Delta Port/Tsawassen Ferry Terminal which is closed all the time, I just cannot find the area of 29 that is only closed at night. As you say, it probably is pretty straight forward I just can't find it.

Where in the regulations does it outline the areas in 29 that only closed to crabbing at night?

This is the link when you click on the "See Area page for closure map" I mentioned earlier.
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s28-eng.html
If you scroll down it will take you to a map that shows you the parts of Area 28 that are closed to night crabbing. But I cannot find any areas that are closed to night crabbing in 29.

I guess what I am confused by is, if all of Areas 28 and 29 are closed to night crabbing then why do they need a map showing specific locations banning it? If those locations are only in 28 then why is area 29 mentioned at all?

Sorry I don't know the answer, but I sure wish DFO would apply this rule to the entire coast and of course include prawning. Traps left days, weeks or even more really bugs me.

No overnight in Burrard inlet.
No crab traps around the coal ports period.
Nothing in there about 29 overnight.....just another a typical typo on another page about mentioning 28 and 29 overnight.
Check with DFO and not an online forum for clarification always and just don't drop overnight anyways as a simple rule of thumb in any area where there is regular traffic.

Let me see if I can dig you up a copy of the variation order signed by the Regional Director. I have found those trying to keep the maps up to date are having some challenges. My son wanted to go pink fishing in the Comox estuary today but the maps show a fin fish closure in area 14-14, but the variation orders were correct with the special shoreline fishery that was set up.

Give me 10 min

I have to agree with Old Blue, the area around 29 is closed for navigation purposes always where the portions of 28 are the night closures. Still looking for the variation order...I may have to check the regs to see if it was written in there.

I found the port closure but not the one for area 28 (night closure) I've got a call out to the individual that prepares and post the variation orders. I'll see what she has to say about the closure.

I found the port closure but not the one for area 28 (night closure) I've got a call out to the individual that prepares and post the variation orders. I'll see what she has to say about the closure.

Look 1/2 way down on the link for 28 I provided

I saw your link, thanks. What I was trying to confirm was the actual variation order for the night closure. I found VO 2015-200 that closed the port area, but could not find the Fishery Notice nor a variation order referring to the night closure. I've checked the Pac Fishery Regulations and the BC sport fish Reg, to confirm this was not a closure written into the regs so it must be rolled over annually and singed as a variation order, varying the regulations closed time. I've gone to the DFO regulations unit as I was unable to find the VO myself.

If the sport page is incorrect then it will need to be corrected.

the area 28 night closure is to limit the amount of poaching done by " the new canadians " fishing off of the docks at like cates park, jerico, ambelside ect it was so rampant that they just closed to night fishing. the area 29 is for navigation where the commercial guys would set right on the boarder line behind the ferry dock

Back