Crabbing and Fishing from a dock in Lower Mainland

feldmann

Hello,

I'm a fairly newer angler and I've picked up crab fishing recently. I've been crab fishing in Crescent beach but I haven't had any luck getting anything big enough.

Where is a decent place I can crab fish in the lower mainland off the dock? I also like to throw out a line sometimes to pass the time while the crab trap is out, what I can fish for at the same time and what bait should I use?

Thanks!

2x Belcarra dock. Get ready for a gong show though. The dock fills up pretty fast especially on weekends. Certain people also seem to feel its ok to get 1 ft beside you and start wildly casting their rods with small shrimp on them. Almost had my son snagged by a casting hook! I almost threw the guy in the drink!

Make sure you don't have the plastic holder for your bait or else the seals will eat through it and rip it up. Modify you trap with a metal cage.

Belcarra dock

White Rock pier on an incoming tide only. Chicken necks and backs at any store work very well. Box trap Crappy Tire. You have to deal with the "off the dock" rif raff that go down there but crabbing used to be very good back in the day. No fishing though unless bullheads are on your menu.

I actually saw a guy pull in a Salmon from the white rock pier last year it was much to small to be legal but as with crabbing on the pier the rules are only in effect on the rare day a DFO officer strolls down the pier, it was quickly bonked and put in the bucket with all the undersized crab.

Thanks for the reply everyone,

I'm going to try out Belcarra, what can I fish for there? What bait should I use?

If you want to catch a fish...wait until the pink salmon show up around the end of the summer. The fraser river will be filled to the banks with them. pick a shore, cast something pink and have fun!

Google Barnet Marine Park. Its on the south side of the inlet just outside of port moody heading west on the Barney HWY. There are some old broken down piers that produce good crabs if you can throw your trap a ways. Or further east down the boardwark there is a large concrete pier that produces good crab. Incoming tides are your friend. This location is far less crowded than the dock @ Belcarra. That place is good for a laugh and that's about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back