crabbing along north and south arm this time of year

the butcher

going to be heading out for some much anticipated fishing at both north and south arm in next couple of days. Last year around this time of year, the crabbing was dismal at this time of year. Wondering if others still drop crab pots around the sandy banks between north and south arm at this time or year or is it just not worth it based on how slim the chances are for getting keepers?

First Nations hit it 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

still can be okay but probably best to sit on your traps.

First Nations hit it 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

still can be okay but probably best to sit on your traps.

I've notice a huge drop off with my crabbing last 2 years even during normally hot crabbing months like may and June.... was skunked 1 time this June and 2nd time had 2 keeper to share amongst 4 people on my boat... Never was this slow before.... So FN are not only taking all the salmon, but now all the crabs too? WTF....

going to be heading out for some much anticipated fishing at both north and south arm in next couple of days. Last year around this time of year, the crabbing was dismal at this time of year. Wondering if others still drop crab pots around the sandy banks between north and south arm at this time or year or is it just not worth it based on how slim the chances are for getting keepers?
Crabbing is no good after June in those areas, July August we have been getting one to two legal size between four pots, but that area is like a share pot area, my pots get pulled by others every single time.

I am frequently out in mud bay crabbing. FN definitely are out crabbing, but let me tell you........... when commercial season opens, you go from a 50-150 traps to hundreds if not a thousand blanketing the border. Until you see it with ur own eyes......its crazy. Not sure its just one group to blame.

I can tell you that prior to last 2 years, all years 2018 and earlier there was always good crabbing during may and June before the commies come out...last 2 years I've noticed a huge difference during may and June... Feels like its been cleaned out even before the commies go out so something serious is different.

But not just blaming commercials either. I have my time to crab without those traps in the water for the rest of the year and I do OK and have crab to eat. I'm finding there is enough, you just have to get out at the right times....... just for crab and not expect a "bonus" whe out salmon fishing.

I can tell you that prior to last 2 years, all years 2018 and earlier there was always good crabbing during may and June before the commies come out...last 2 years I've noticed a huge difference during may and June... Feels like its been cleaned out even before the commies go out so something serious is different.

This year in Mud Bay was pretty good in June. May was kinda slow though. Definitely slow now.

Back