Crabapple and shields lake in sooke?

A hike up there would be depressing to see since I knew what it was like before and what it meant to the 4x4 community. There are no places like this on the south island for people that have interests in off road fun. So many lakes and hikes were available to the public without access for off road vehicles but that wasn't good enough for some. Closed gates are a part of our communities these days and because of that I don't own a bush truck anymore, I own a boat now. Just too bad that some groups can't accept what they have and always have to point fingers at other groups that aren't doing what they think is right. My time in the bush is always spent respectfully, always carry more out than I take in. I have a bag in the back of my SUV now that is full of lucky cans from various places around the island that I find and clean up. If only there was a place that people with an interest in burning gas and driving on dirt could go and not be shut out because some other group thinks that it's bad we could all be happy. Harbourview Rd was in my opinion the last place on the south island that this happened and was ruined by other peoples dumb kids.

A hike up there would be depressing to see since I knew what it was like before and what it meant to the 4x4 community. There are no places like this on the south island for people that have interests in off road fun. So many lakes and hikes were available to the public without access for off road vehicles but that wasn't good enough for some. Closed gates are a part of our communities these days and because of that I don't own a bush truck anymore, I own a boat now. Just too bad that some groups can't accept what they have and always have to point fingers at other groups that aren't doing what they think is right. My time in the bush is always spent respectfully, always carry more out than I take in. I have a bag in the back of my SUV now that is full of lucky cans from various places around the island that I find and clean up. If only there was a place that people with an interest in burning gas and driving on dirt could go and not be shut out because some other group thinks that it's bad we could all be happy. Harbourview Rd was in my opinion the last place on the south island that this happened and was ruined by other peoples dumb kids.

Well put. I used to use Harbourview, and have many fond memories. Many of our freedoms are lost from people who point fingers at other groups... I guess we could all start wearing only hemp fibers, give up our outboards for paddles, walk, hike and ride bicycles everywhere we want to go, but I'd rather find a middle ground. I don't think that banning any recreational activity will teach the reckless and irresponsible to be the good citizens we wish everyone could be, all it does is force them to move on to something or somewhere more convenient.

As per usual a few with rather obtrusive forms of recreation feel their wants should override everyone elses like of a bit of peace ans quiet. I remember Harbour view before the gates. It wasn't safe to walk down the main paths due to some yahoo fling down the roads. Beer cans often got picked up. But rarely broken glass, shot shells, burnt lawn chairs and dumped vehicles etc.etc.

Take your beef up with Timber West. They are the biggest denier of access to what once was on the South Island.

The CRD is obstructing a provincial park, adjacent crown land, and Ragged Mountain is private property. We oppose the free for all (except legitimate organizations) that is the current CRD management plan. Anyone that wants to go in there right now can, except an organized event. We have requested a key for the gate and a permit to use the road.

I have eight kids. All of them have learned self reliance and respect from me, not a gate, and certainly not officious government employees, politicians, or people with opinions like this: "Bikers and hikers were there first"
I have kids too I am not sure what that is about. I really could care less if you don't like MNbiking community opposing the access. This has been the position of SIRA since day 1. Yes its a fact SIMBS was in there already before SIRA came along...SIMBS wanted to preserve access to bikers so they had a place to ride freely. What I do care about is that you have tied this into the launch ramp at Sooke. ... Many of those people that use that ramp mountain bike. I also was not a fan of how you steamrolled SIMBS to get your way initially now no one is winning there. Anyhow this is my last post on this issue and the ramp. I wish you luck but you need to keep your politics on ATVing out of ramp... I think harbourview should remain closed for ATV, and for bikers and cyclists to enjoy. I am the last one to say no to ATVing I live in Shawnigan lake.... King of ATVing.. But we are different the community works together to establish areas where/where not to go.. So there are lots of areas to cycle or hike freely with out ATV. And lost of areas where you can ATV... Its a good balance..

Last edited by a moderator:
As per usual a few with rather obtrusive forms of recreation feel their wants should override everyone elses like of a bit of peace ans quiet. I remember Harbour view before the gates. It wasn't safe to walk down the main paths due to some yahoo fling down the roads. Beer cans often got picked up. But rarely broken glass, shot shells, burnt lawn chairs and dumped vehicles etc.etc.

Take your beef up with Timber West. They are the biggest denier of access to what once was on the South Island.

As per usual there are people that feel that they can't share the trail with me, but I would always share the trail with you. If I'm coming down the road I'd make room for you anytime and smile and wave on my way by. Hikers and bikers have access to many other areas on the south island where peace and quiet is what is available. The 4x4 community only had this area and it was private access that was granted for EVERYONE. With proper organization the area could have been kept clean but local authorities ignored the problems that the area bred and it got out of hand. The group that I was involved with had annual clean ups for the area and hauled away a lot of glass, shot shells, burnt lawn chairs and dumped vehicles. When the hammer fell we were made out to be the bad guys as usual by a group that wanted to "save" the area. Timber West has every right to restrict access on their private roads, and although it wasn't convenient for my type of recreation it was mostly respected.

Gave up this battle years ago since fighting big corporations is futile, just had to rant a bit.

I do apologize to the opening poster for my rants. The area was great for fishing and camping when I was up there, especially Crabapple Lake as it was harder to get to and a little less travelled with a great camping area as well. Not a lot of access to the lake without a boat, for shore casting Shields would be a better spot to try.

As usual a few wreck it for all. The historic dealings with land titles on most of Southern Van. Isle was short sighted and unfortunate. Most of us were surely surprised when we lost access to what is now Timber West land. It seems a hopeless battle, especially since the company doesn't have to, more importantly doesn't want to compromise. Interesting though who a major stakeholder is in that company.
http://www.campbellrivermirror.com/opinion/letters/141653193.html

Little "Grassy Lk." is a nice destination from the Sooke Potholes parking lot. One nice picnic/camping/fishing spot. A cheap packable raft or belly boat is handy.

My wife and I just got back from a weekend at Sheilds Lake. It's 9.5kms to the lake from the gate, 10.5kms if you continue around to the far side where the camping is nicer and the lake is much deeper, makes for better fishing.
The fishing itself was really good, caught 8 myself on Saturday and in total we caught about 14. The 3 pictured here were the smallest of the ones we caught.
Beautiful area, underused and though no motorized transport is allowed we still saw 2 groups of quads up at the lake.

11873625_1671675626378890_7982548311723752400_n.jpg11898658_1671675763045543_7877824043992585092_n.jpg11914574_1671675556378897_85572186376209362_n.jpg

no access crabapple shields lakes crd owns land for victoria water supplystops people stealing their own vehicles burning them up there for insurance

Back