crab

Discus

My friend has 3 nice size male crabs., He didnt cook them. He wanted to cook them tomorrow ( today) , but the crabs are dead. he should cook them right now. I said I have no idea but I assume that dont eat them when they are dead.

Any feedback about his dead crabs and what he do with his three dead crabs?

Thanks
Discus.

I'd tear the tops off them and cook them.... If he wants them hot tomorrow just a short soak in hot water and they are warm again and ready to eat.

I have killed them, refrigerated right away and cooked the next day a few times. Nobody died from eating it and it tasted great... :)

All good.

You need to provide more info-- what time did he get them? How many hrs have they been deceased by the time he want to cook them? Did he just let then die with no ice? What were they kept in a black garbage bag in the sun?????

personally , unless the crabs have been properly looked after, I would not touch them.. shellfish spoil extremely quickly.

You need to provide more info-- what time did he get them? How many hrs have they been deceased by the time he want to cook them? Did he just let then die with no ice? What were they kept in a black garbage bag in the sun?????

personally , unless the crabs have been properly looked after, I would not touch them.. shellfish spoil extremely quickly.

Thanks for ask me for more questions.

Sure I can give you more info. He caught them yesterday afternoon about 4 pm . The crabs were in a 5 gal bucket with saltwater. When he got home around 5 pm. he got another pail of new fresh saltwater and he put three crabs in the pail for over night, they were in cold basement. He found out they dead in the morning. He raised freshwater on the crabs and he put them in fridge. He said that he will cook them for supper.

No ice.

Do you think they are bad?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sure I can give you more info. He caught them yesterday afternoon about 4 pm . The crabs were in a 5 gal bucket with saltwater. When he got home around 5 pm. he got another pail of new fresh saltwater and he put three crabs in the pail for over night, they were in cold basement. He found out they dead in the morning. He raised freshwater on the crabs and he put them in fridge. He said that he will cook them for supper.

No ice.

"Cold" basement or not, with the temperature of the air these days, I'd say it's risky to eat them. Of course, bacteria would be killed off in a pot of boiling water if boiled for long enough. Still might not taste right. I wouldn't eat them unless I was starving. It'd be a shame if they went to waste.

No ice.

I would not eat them if they've been dead for more than 2 hours. If they die in the shell with the guts still in bacteria begins to spread through the meat within 2 hours at room temp and 1 hour over 30c. You can get really sick from spoiled shellfish. Not worth it. Next time boil them live then put them in the fridge. They will stay good up to 2 days that way.

Thank you for feedback. I let him know. he was very disappointment with about that. I told him that don't eat them.

I agreed with you about bacterial make risk for people to eat .

He said that the dead crab can use for crab bait. I said don't think so. It was not a good idea because of bacterial could spread out in the sea.

I hope he is lesson learning.

Good choice Discuss. Tell him that in future he should cook the crabs right away and keep them in the fridge if he doesn't want to eat them immediately. Also don't try to keep crabs alive in a bucket with water; it doesn't work! Transport them in a dry cooler with ice if possible.

And never submerge crabs in fresh water as it draws out the salt from their body and makes the meat stringy.

What waste. Your friend idiot. Pick other hobby.

Yesterday, I have told him that when he catches the crab and he must to cook the crabs before the crabs dead. He said that put the crab in freshwater tank. I said a big NO, it was a bad idea.

Two hours later he said that he had no time to do with the crabs. I said let them go.

He said that he can get couple pails of saltwater that where he lives in Equlament, He can get water from the beach. I said that he needs to do change water every 3 or 4 hours, makes him too much work or do cook them ASAP , If he cannot do that ... Then I told him he has no time to do with the crabs, he should give the crabs to his friends or to me or let them go by his near beach.

Yes The dead crabs are waste :(.

What waste. Your friend idiot. Pick other hobby.

Yesterday, I have told him that when he catches the crab and he must to cook the crabs before the crabs dead. He said that put the crab in freshwater tank. I said a big NO, it was a bad idea.

Two hours later he said that he had no time to do with the crabs. I said let them go.

He said that he got couple pails of saltwater that where he lives in Equlament, He can get water from the beach. I said that he needs to do change water every 3 or 4 hours, makes him too much work or do cook them ASAP , If he cannot do that ... Then I told him he has no time to do with the crabs, he should give the crabs to his friends or to me or let them go by his near beach.

Yes The dead crabs are waste :(.

Excatly I agreed with Capt. Crush said that.

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't have to cook crab before they die, you have to clean them before they die. Raw, cleaned crab does not have to be cooked right away. It can be stored on ice, or refrig for a day or two or vac pac'd and frozen. I don't know anyone that cooks crab whole....what a mess!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uAGQG8y9b1w

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NEVER leave them in salt water they will die they need water that is moving not stagnate thats why when you see them in a tank its flowing to create oxygen, your better off ripping the shells off and cleaning them and put in fridge or on ice you have to get the guts out dead crab, they release a toxin cant remember what its called .. thats why on deadlist catch you see them throw away dead loss they are no good.
agreed if you dont have time to deal with them why take them ???
im sure if I shot a deer and "didnt have time to deal with it " you guys would be all over me as well..... LOL

hopefully lesson learned

Wolf

"The most important organ in the crustacean is what biologists call the midgut gland or hepatopancreas, and what the rest of us usually call the "liver." This is the source of enzymes that flow into the digestive tube and break down ingested foods.... It's thus one of the richest, most flavorful parts of the body, and is expecially prized in labsters and crabs. But it's also what makes crustaceans spoil so readily. The gland is made up of tiny fragile tubes; and when the animal is killed, the tubules are readily attacked and damaged by their own enzymes, which then spread into the muscle tissue and break it down into mush. There are several ways to avoid this spoilage. Crabs are sold either live, their digestive system intact, or fully cooked, their enzymes inactivated by the cooking. "

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too bad about the waste. In the time it takes to clean 3 crabs he could have them done in a couple of minutes and then put the legs in the fridge as others have said. I do this all the time if they are not getting cooked the same day but they will usually be cooked within 24 hours.

Tough lesson....but it happens. Good thing he knows now.

Back