crab trap theive's in vancouver

quote:Originally posted by Salmon Smoker
[br]I set my traps in the Indian Arm and have message written on my float.
It says " Before you touch this rope, check the trees for a rifle scope"
It seems to have worked for me last year.

That is essentially what I have done.....have never had a problem in the last 2 years since I left pleasant little notes on my float.

MAde it out today for some playing only and managed to pull both traps up and thay had not been touched = 32 crabs total between both nets, and i only took the best 7 males

quote:Originally posted by flytyer

MAde it out today for some playing only and managed to pull both traps up and thay had not been touched = 32 crabs total between both nets, and i only took the best 7 males

I made it out yesterday with friends from work. We saw a flat bottom commercial skiff with 2 Native looking guys checking traps and hauling and keeping everything. There was no commercial number on the boat. We were watching them from a distance with binoculars. There is one of their trap lines off the first mile marker and there are no markings on the float.

Where are all these crabs going and how much crab can a small band of Natives eat?

How about tis one boys.Make a cement anchor using the bottom of a plastic 55 gallon barrel,make it weigh about 75 lbs.use thin nylon rope so it's a ***** to pull up.Their going to thinkthey got a mother load with that weight.Put it deep to make them work for it.Imagine their faces when they know they been had.Use cheap scotsman buoys so they look real.And if you do catch someone have them arrested for stealing your moorage buoys.

It's a little known fact that there is a commercial crab fishery for natives only that DFO won't or can't control in the harbour. Those boats you are seeing are commercial crabbers !! Like it or lump it we have no control on what they do. If there are no markings on your bouys anyone has the right to pull that trap and if it is missing it could have been fisheries that removed it. The lesson to be learned is watch your traps if you fish the Pont Grey side of the bay!

quote:Originally posted by BigHog

It's a little known fact that there is a commercial crab fishery for natives only that DFO won't or can't control in the harbour. Those boats you are seeing are commercial crabbers !! Like it or lump it we have no control on what they do. If there are no markings on your bouys anyone has the right to pull that trap and if it is missing it could have been fisheries that removed it. The lesson to be learned is watch your traps if you fish the Pont Grey side of the bay!

Won't or Can't? I think it's "Won't" as opposed to "Can't".

This is bloody BS. I called fisheries yesterday about them.

quote:Originally posted by Mortician

quote:Originally posted by BigHog

It is time to voice your concerns over this as there will be no crabe for anyone if we don't say anything !! If we don't spark up as a group don't complain anymore.
Won't or Can't? I think it's "Won't" as opposed to "Can't".

This is bloody BS. I called fisheries yesterday about them.

Back