crab trap theive's in vancouver

P

primetime1

If you are on this sight and reading this.

please stop stealing and or dismantling almost every trap

my guides have put down.

get a life!!!!

we will find and punish you!!!!!

It's getting to be the time of year where I'm really leery about leaving traps unattended. A couple of times recently, I've seen Sewell's boats hauling traps. No way of telling whose they were. I made a point of letting them know we were watching them, but what's a guy to do?

Where were yours? and what do you mean "dismantle'?

A couple of weeks ago for the first time someone pulled my prawn traps, took the prawns, and dumped the traps over again. The wind was blowing so hard, I guess they drifted several hundred yards. Luckily, the traps landed at the same depth. The bonus was that I discovered a new hole! Nevertheless, I took it as a bad omen. I think I'll retire them for a while. Too bad you guys don't have that option.

Hope you catch the ****ers :(

i agree. i put my crab traps out on saturday and they were cleanned out.

If i catch you, it wont be pretty.

Dropped two traps in Sooke harbour about 4 days ago. Came back from fishing to only find one. The other one I thought gone, popped up yesterday at low tide.
cheers

Bastards, cleaned me out on Friday. I know as they were not closed the same as i put them down. Guess i get to play with the snipers rifle this weekend. I hope your hull can handle a few holes in it and you know how to swim.[}:)]

Well, if it happens so regularly in one area just hide behind an island or point and watch for a couple of hours... They won't do it again if they get caught once...And don't be shy and polite if you run up to them...We did it some time ago in Mill Bay and after that our traps were safe for a long time. Then somebody else feels the urge...

all my traps were pulled up and the doors removed from them and then put back down!!
three traps on saturday each with all four doors missing.

then they rifled the good stainless traps of mine.

this is the 3 rd time this has happened this month.

if we fish near the traps there fine as soon as we leave the area to fish elsewhere they get poached or distroyed.
I would love to go out there and wait around a corner for them but we have guests on board our boats.
Anyway i have a plan of attack!!!
was just wondering if anybody else was having the same isssues with there gear.

Primetime, Why not try the treble hooks in the rope ? And I don't think you have to pinch the barbs.

thats a good idea brisco trebles or razor blades would work as well!

"And if I had a couple traps hanging by trebbles stuffed in my hand I would cut the rope RIGHT THERE." if only to be so lucky, easily worth the cost!!!

all the traps that I have had messed with or ripped off have been at the tip of north arm area and point grey area!!!!!

Primetime......

I feel your pain; there are plenty of a-holes ripping off and cleaning out traps in the local waters.

First question....when you "lose traps"(stolen) are you are setting them in a "high traffic area" where log booms, tugs, freighters may be taking them out? Most recreational boater will avoid the bright floats but the big guys sometimes don't have a choice.

I have a great tip that has worked and I have not lost a trap or had it emptied since I started doing this; but I don't know that I want to post it up on an open forum on the internet as it could compromise my "system". If you know what I mean.....lots of eyes read these forums....both honest and dishonest.[}:)]

re; pippen yes we are keeping them out of heavy traffic area's learned our lesson there.
would like to know your tip on keeping these a-holes out of our traps.
feel free to give me a call anytime
604-619-6141
or even email me at
paul@primetimesalmonfishing.com
I appreciate the comments

cheers and tight lines

You can try the old rum runner trick of putting road salt in a gunny sack and weighting down your bouy. When the salt dissolves, the bouy will float up to the surface. How long it takes depends on the amount of salt and how fast the current. You will have to experiment! LOL!

I set my traps in the Indian Arm and have message written on my float.
It says " Before you touch this rope, check the trees for a rifle scope"
It seems to have worked for me last year.
I also watch my trap if I put it anywhere near the old McDonalds floating resturaunt.

Back