Crab trap regulations

the butcher

I don't have a lot of deck space and want to buy or make crab traps in the ladner style shape with the funnel at the top. I've seen some of these traps for sale in bellingham and Seattle when I pass by the tackle stores down there. I like the idea that I cna have a couple of these traps and they store neatly when inverted upside down and can be piled on top of each other. In looking at the regs for the crab traps, it talks about rot cord that will disintegrate to provide an opening of a certain size and smaller opening to allow for undersized crabs to escape etc etc... I am familiar with these reg as I follow them for the rectangular traps that I currently own. However, if the ladner style crab traps have an opening in the funnel which is much bigger than the opening required in the DFO regs and its always open so there is no rot cord needed. Does anyone know if the style of crab traps I am referring to complies with our regulations needed for a crab trap?

Attachments

• 534927-Ladner-Dungeness-Crab-Trap_0.jpg
    534927-Ladner-Dungeness-Crab-Trap_0.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 60
rot cord is needed, it is wound into the mesh on the sides. I have tried these traps out, they fish well and catch crab that are bigger than the regular commercial trap openings.

rot cord is needed, it is wound into the mesh on the sides. I have tried these traps out, they fish well and catch crab that are bigger than the regular commercial trap openings.

Does it require a longer soak than the typical rectangular box traps? Wondering how long it takes the crabs to figure out they need to climb to top.. Does this style traps work well on shorter soaks such as 45 mins?

never tried short soaks, if a meal is there though them crabbies move on it quick. me- always overnights or a couple days.. the commercial guys leave em out for days on end it seems.. up to a week!

100% correct...105mm escape rings and rot cord to allow escape if the trap is lost. Otherwise those traps will not comply with the regs.

Those jolly good traps, do you rig it up to for crab trapping in an orientation with the red circular hole pointing up or does the trap lay on the side with the ref circular hole pointing outwards to the side?

Back