crab rings?

mjd

anyone one know where I could track down some crab rings/hoops between Nanaimo and Port Alberni. . .or around vancouver area? Thanks.

Whole Sale Sports and Canadian tire in naniamo and the CT in port. I have seen them in those locations before.

Ah ha ha ha ha!!!! Small world.

Anyone else here fish rings out of curiosity? I love them. I always get my crab with them and it sporty.

Last edited by a moderator:
I fish them on my buddies boat if all we are going to do is crab. They are fun and productive when you hit the tide just right. The Diamond Back ones at PNT look like quality units.

Most of the time on my own boat I am too busy doing multiple things so I just drop traps and come back to get them.

Hmm. I thought the tide thing was my secret. Guess not. I only fish at slack. Makes a huge difference.

Never used them, but am heading over to Vancouver, for Christmas, well White Rock, and might try it off the pier there. Would someone tell me how they work etc. All I really want to do is catch one, so my grand daughter can see a crab right from the ocean.

Check the tides. Go just before flood tide. Tie some chicken backs to the trap. Wait 20 minutes. Pull it and check results. If results are good put back down and check every 10 minutes. You should come up with more than one crab for your grand daughter :).

Check the tides. Go just before flood tide. Tie some chicken backs to the trap. Wait 20 minutes. Pull it and check results. If results are good put back down and check every 10 minutes. You should come up with more than one crab for your grand daughter :).

what he said. I find that it is better to use open bait for the crabs to work on. I'll pull the rings every 5-10 mins but I am doing so out of a boat on obviousness crab spots. The sporty part of it is you you can not disturb the ring before you pull it or the crabs will leave. They do not like it if it is sliding on bottom which is the other advantage to fishing slack. When pulling first take up the slack and then clean jerk it off the bottom and pull as fast as you can to keep the crabs in the ring. They will crawl out if you stop. Filled 8 licences in 2 hours one time and graded out many just legals. Me and three buddies and their kids. This is a great thing to do with kids.

Back