Crab Poachers

Fish Assassin

Crew Member
This article was in the loacl paper last week(Comox Valley Echo). It is pricless to read. After the first article read this weeks article.

A CROTCH FULL OF CRABS

To the two young men and women poaching other people's crab traps on Sunday night right next to the Kingfisher resort area. I was alerted about your actions by a man at the boat launch. He was absolutely livid as he watched you pull up every trap in the area including his! He said he chased you around but you wouldn't stop your boat. What could he do except ram you? I couldn't believe it when I went out to check my trap and you were right there at my float marker looking guilty as ever! Talk about great timing. If you weren't guilty then why did you take off so quickly when we asked you questions? What goes around comes around. I want all boaters and crab fishermen in the area to be on the lookout for a small 14 ft red Lund fishing boat with the marker V16 on the side. I believe it has an older 30hp Yamaha on the back. The driver was early 20's, slim build with short dirty blonde hair. I believe the boat must have been launched from the Point Holmes boat launch. These guys were up to no good the other night and may do it again. Hopefully they will get the message. Crab trap poaching is a big problem in this area. There isn't much we can do to stop these thieves except alert others and be on the lookout.

BAD CRAB KARMA

To the young individuals that were caught poaching crab traps. Guess what? There was such a great description of your boat in last week's paper that it was spotted in your driveway on Williams Road in East Courtenay. Of course, since then it has been conveniently moved to the side of your house, partially hidden by vehicles. Hope you get pinched! (By the crabs of course)

Smiley,

What would I do if I caught someone poaching my traps?

I would take pictures if I had a camera and post them pictures every where. Being the internet, dock boards and local fishing store windows. Then the pictures would be droped off at the fisheries office and the RCMP.

Right on fa123! 2x. A great reason to pack along a camera also. Like you said smiley66, we do this for sport/fun. There is no room out here for thieves.:(

I don't mind as much them taking my crabs but on my recent trip to SOOKE, they stole all 4 of my traps! Gone! That REALLY ticks a guy off. They need a good ramming!

We need to adapt one of those exploding dye packs and make it waterproof.
Open the crab trap and poof,,,red dye all over the bad guys....
Thieves are the lowest of the low,glad you were able to take the high road so far. No need to get in trouble with the law even though we all would like to beat them senseless as our first reaction . Its hard to keep the temper from getting the best of you at times!!:(

IAFF Local #18 (Vancouver Fire Rescue)

If you have their address you could try a reverse search on 411.com, - that may give you a phone number and name for the address.
These guys sound so brazen that it is just a big fun game having other boats chase them around. They may be young enough that it may be their parents place or a borrowed boat. If so, I bet they would not be happy to know that the blond kid has made them infamous.
I read a good tip on this site a while back. Use zip ties on your traps. It won't stop them, but at least you will know if it has been raided and put back down.

Had to pass this one on in this topic. A friend of mine who passed away a few years ago from cancer told me this story. He had to have his leg removed due to a re-occurring tumor in his thigh. When his doctor informed him of their intent to remove the leg....he said to the doc..."I want my leg back afterwards" The doc says...: what, why would you want it back/" He says I can use it for bait in my crab trap!!!! lol Can you imagine a poacher pulling up that trap!!!!!!!

quote:Here is one what would you do if you saw I guy poaching your trap?

No BS wht would you do?

Board em!!

Take only what you need.
3641877346_d9919f98d0.jpg

quote:Originally posted by profisher

."I want my leg back afterwards" The doc says...: what, why would you want it back/" He says I can use it for bait in my crab trap!!!! lol Can you imagine a poacher pulling up that trap!!!!!!!

Ya. hehehe Especially if the doc could rig the leg so it was spring loaded. When a poacher opens the trap, the leg releases and boots the poacher in the balls.;) :D

North star As I am out every day I see traps being dragged away every day there is one at the front of SS thats been there all season long never been lifted!!!!!!
the currents going in and out especially with a piece of kelp will take a trap away so fast I have personally put the traps on the SS dock as I have brought at least 5 back to the marina as I see them drifting away especially right in the middle of the channel there one in front of my boat right now I retrieved in front of the bluffs in 150 ft of water. take it if you want it its a box trap in fair but not great condition.

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

quote:Originally posted by Rockfish

If you have their address you could try a reverse search on 411.com, - that may give you a phone number and name for the address.
These guys sound so brazen that it is just a big fun game having other boats chase them around. They may be young enough that it may be their parents place or a borrowed boat. If so, I bet they would not be happy to know that the blond kid has made them infamous.
I read a good tip on this site a while back. Use zip ties on your traps. It won't stop them, but at least you will know if it has been raided and put back down.

I don't know about that one, I just shake 'em out the door. I do notice that in Renfrew, my big 100 pound commercial trap gets pulled a lot less then my other traps. This may also have to do with the 3/16th inch rope I have on it :D . Bites the hands a bit, but had 9 keepers in it, which is good this time of year up there.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

quote:Originally posted by LastChance

I don't know about that one, I just shake 'em out the door. I do notice that in Renfrew, my big 100 pound commercial trap gets pulled a lot less then my other traps. This may also have to do with the 3/16th inch rope I have on it :D . Bites the hands a bit, but had 9 keepers in it, which is good this time of year up there.

www.swiftsurebank.com

I guess a big guy like urself has no problems pulling a trap like that! Man, that would suck. imagine if it had a seastar in it. [xx(]

I wonder how many "local" papers would publish an item like this.
Very few, I expect.
Too bad, this type of outing and embarassment would probably work wonders on the bu**ers.
Would also work for the poachers, barbed hook guys, and even the bad boaters cited in other threads.
Congrats to the Echo and whomever made the news contribution.

quote:Originally posted by fishflyguy89

quote:Originally posted by LastChance

www.swiftsurebank.com

I guess a big guy like urself has no problems pulling a trap like that! Man, that would suck. imagine if it had a seastar in it. [xx(]

It's even heavier if it has 40 undersize females in it.

www.swiftsurebank.com

Just going by the report I drove down Williams Road in E.Courtenay I would hope that the person that has been pointed out in this news paper ad would speak up and show is boat. Because I could identify it in a heart beat. I never wrote the paper with this info but I was out on the water that evening. The boat owner located at 1343 Williams Road in Courtenay should pull the machine out for the few people that seen such said machine. Maybe it's not the same boat but I would bet it is. As it said in the paper fuuny how it's been hidden behind the house, hedges and vehicles(White and Green Ford). Sure looks like the same stlye of boat I seen out there that evening.

Would be interesting to send them a copy of the news paper articles. Maybe it was someones son and the father doesn't even know what has happened.

I would hate to be the owner of a boat like that right now in this area.

Renfrew is getting bad too kelly,i have a super heavy trap as well and its getting pulled sometimes and trevor and a couple other guys are having the same problem.

Calll DFO, if you were on the water and witnessed anything FA or anyone else!

I had a similar incident with my traps about 5 years ago. A witness, Eaglemanic saw them pull my traps and met them at the ramp. I called DFO and they paid the guy a visit. DFO Gave him a talking too. They get nervous when they know they are being watched.

Last edited by a moderator:
These guys are perfectly set up for the old rusty trebles embedded in the line trick. Don't even use a trap, just a few dead weights. Use a brand new buoy and line though (yellow twist is the best), to throw them off. A couple of saltwater infected gashes should slow them down! As an old Level 3 I have seen the effects of blood poisoning. Not something you really want to **** around with. Dikheads! If they were near me that boat would have 'trouble' next time out.

Back