CR Cutties #2

Steelhead S2

Can't seem to see my first thread about this on here. Where did it go?

Anyway, I found them this morning. Try washed out looking egg patterns.

I always have better success upriver from the hatchery this time of year and you've nailed the pattern, so to speak.
Simply put the maturing cutties (resident and searun) will follow the salmon runs up and feed gloriously through to when they spawn in the new year before dropping back down just in time to meet the spring hatch of fry upon which they fatten up and mend after spawning.
Imitate the appropriate feed at the appropriate time in front of them and cutties become almost gluttonous in their attacks. I well recall catching a fat fat fat 18" er on the Quinnie one day that puked up a three inch long parr during the fight. It had attacked a spoon designed for steelhead even while stuffed to the max.

Crazy fish sometimes.

Take care.

Fat indeed. My big one this morning was a total football. I like the idea of hunting up-stream too. May have to try that next Sunday, conditions permitting. Care to join Dave?

i commented on steelieheads response and it got censored/ cut out. i guess no more speaking opinions is allowed. I haven't been on this site in a while though, so i appologize. dont want to stir up the pot

Well, glad to hear it was you and not me that got it cut. Though I didn't see your post. Been wondering where you were too, as you normally have some good reports and interesting opinions.

ive been working tons but did a couple of really cool fishing trips this summer. now just gearing for steel season. maybe i will see u again on the gold this year.

Back