CPAWS

IronNoggin

They intend to try and impose a a proposed marine protected area in the Salish Sea according to their latest circular.

We love talking about the oceans with you. With all the interest in our recent and upcoming webinars, we're adding one more to the calendar!

At 7 pm on April 4, we will be presenting a webinar with BC Nature on a proposed marine protected area in the Salish Sea.

The Salish Sea’s Southern Strait of Georgia is home to the most endangered marine mammals in Canada — the 74 remaining Southern Resident killer whales.

That's why we call it the Home of the Orcas!

Learn how local Indigenous Nations look to work with Parks Canada to protect this part of the ocean for the orcas, the 3,000 other wildlife species that call it home, and people too!

It's just getting worse. This is a complete joke.

1711414680500.png

Found a paper on one of the CPAWS presentations back in 2018.

Attachments

• Marine protected areas and the role of ENGOs in supporting MPA es.pdf
    685.1 KB · Views: 5
Yes but I am afraid this will be one that is done out of the radar in secret with limited public engagement. Anyone in Area 17/18 should be concerned on this one. We saw what happened up North. Same people here. This is again an NGO driven project and the feds are engage on it. FN also participating.

This will impact the region enormously if this gets implemented. Concerns also that whales and food again are being used as the prime argument.

Down the rabbit hole. Interesting Nimby group based on Saltspring. The data if you overlay follows this freighter and tanker anchorage map.

The group looks like it references island trust. Island trust is a group I believe Misty McDuffee of Raincoast Conseervation used to be involved in. Interesting read.

Island trust

i thought its the local government

Islands Trust Act​

The Islands Trust is governed by the Government of British Columbia’s Islands Trust Act which:
  • Establishes the corporate bodies of the Islands Trust
  • Identifies the Islands Trust Area and the “object” (mandate) of the Islands Trust
  • Gives responsibilities and powers to the corporate bodies of the Islands Trust
  • Transfers land-use planning powers from regional districts to local trust committees
  • Prohibits a regional district from adopting bylaws, issuing permits or undertaking work contrary to a local trust committee bylaw
  • Establishes the relationship with island municipalities
  • Guides some governance procedures
  • Provides for budget and requisition of taxes
Since 1974, the Islands Trust Act has been reviewed and amended several times

Should change thread title Nog to "Proposed Marine Protected Area in waters from Nanaimo/Gulf Islands all the way down to Sidney/Brentwood Bay"

Will keep digging up more stuff on it....

I hope there is some resistance but my fear is this area will just be written off, with the amount of other stuff people have going on in their areas.
Its already been written off, these groups have been quietly advocating for this MPA for a very long time and Parks Canada is really pushing this. Nothing short of a change in government will make any difference. These groups want to turn our marine environment into a gigantic park and have everyone sitting around unemployed.

Its already been written off, these groups have been quietly advocating for this MPA for a very long time and Parks Canada is really pushing this. Nothing short of a change in government will make any difference. These groups want to turn our marine environment into a gigantic park and have everyone sitting around unemployed.
Almost, these group members want to drive around in zodiacs making sure that nobody is bothering the whales, sea lions etc.

Drives me insane when I see whales and turn off engines and sounders to float around and watch them, within ten minutes some hippies in a zodiac with a flag will roar over to me at WOT and demand I stop harassing the whales.

Need to get rid of the Federal Liberals and Provincial NDP if we want to have continued access to the areas we like to fish and enjoy the outdoors.

Back