Cowichan River

Ive seen a guy at bible camp with a dead steelhead twice in the last week. Pretty sad to see. Think its the same guy. Green waders and a white hat.

If you see one doing something this stupid you have to say something to him, take a picture of him and his truck or w/e call RAPP. I know its not easy to confront people but they need to be told its the only way CO budget is tight and they have a lot of area to cover.

I was fishing a fly only catch and release area recently this fall in the Cowichan valley and saw a couple of guys gear fishing and bonking, I told them what was up they played dumb and left when confronted, later that day I called RAPP and reported it the next weekend there was a CO that rolled through the same area. Its our resource to protect and we should do what we can reporting stuff like this we can all make a difference.

Ive seen a guy at bible camp with a dead steelhead twice in the last week. Pretty sad to see. Think its the same guy. Green waders and a white hat.

X2.....please report this..take a pic of the vehical.. not sure what is going with the river this year but its turning into the wild west.... roe being used...killing of steelhead bye anglers and a wack of fish being taken in a gill net fishery????

It was reported. Pretty sure the guy is native though so doubtful anything will come of it.

Sounds like a friend of the 2 young natives I see down on the lower river.They've been talking about a guy they know
who's fishing the bible camp area every day and taking home lots of fish.They said he'd gotten an 18 lber the other day as well.
Just about made me cry.Absolute total disregard for the resource.If this is allowed to continue,they will fish them to
extinction,and I don't know what any of us can do about it.

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't FNs require a food permit to retain fish on a non-retentive river? Otherwise, they are required to follow the same rules as us? Why not bring up the matter up with the tribe that issues the food permits on cowichan? They would be able to tell you if any Steelhead permits were issued or not.

I personally ask them all the time if they have their food permit. When asked, the FN will either show you it, say he doesn't need to show you anything, pack up and leave immediately or try to call your bluff and have the COs deal with them. And out of the few years I've been fishing on Vancouver island, I have only came across 1 FN with a Food permit.

That being said, majority of FNs, particularly the ones I know that fish the rivers are quite considerate and respectful to the resource, it's the few bad apples that give the rest of them a bad rep. But I also see a fair number of non FNs that disregards all rules and fish illegally. So really, it comes down narrow minded selfish individuals that are ruining it for all of us. Not a specific race or minority.

I personally witness a group of young individuals during the coho run this past season that weren't FNs, poaching wilds in the river... I mean, slicing off the adipose fin to look like a hatchery, bonking snagged fish, and getting there limit, go back to their vehicle, then limiting out multiple times in a single day.

Last edited by a moderator:
That being said, majority of FNs, particularly the ones I know that fish the rivers are quite considerate and respectful to the resource, it's the few bad apples that give the rest of them a bad rep.

I like to believe it is true, but illegal or not there is nobody on the non-native side that will bother to pursue charging them because it's been proven time and again it is a waste of time. The First nations in Cowichan have their own "police" but they don't seem to do anything either. The balls in their court.

I like to believe it is true, but illegal or not there is nobody on the non-native side that will bother to pursue charging them because it's been proven time and again it is a waste of time. The First nations in Cowichan have their own "police" but they don't seem to do anything either. The balls in their court.

I do know of one CO that does step in and when they do, the FN usually opts to pay the fine, vs. fighting it in court. So not all is lost... at least the Ministry is pocketing a few bucks from it. I just hope it gets put back into maintain the resource.

The main problem is not a few speared SH or hook and line caught. Bad enough but probably absorbable. The commercial style full on gill netting will kill them at that rate in a short period. There were always a few nets per season but this season is different and if it isn't halted soon it will be too late. Barely any SH are getting through as we speak..

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't FNs require a food permit to retain fish on a non-retentive river? Otherwise, they are required to follow the same rules as us? Why not bring up the matter up with the tribe that issues the food permits on cowichan? They would be able to tell you if any Steelhead permits were issued or not.

I personally ask them all the time if they have their food permit. When asked, the FN will either show you it, say he doesn't need to show you anything, pack up and leave immediately or try to call your bluff and have the COs deal with them. And out of the few years I've been fishing on Vancouver island, I have only came across 1 FN with a Food permit.

That being said, majority of FNs, particularly the ones I know that fish the rivers are quite considerate and respectful to the resource, it's the few bad apples that give the rest of them a bad rep. But I also see a fair number of non FNs that disregards all rules and fish illegally. So really, it comes down narrow minded selfish individuals that are ruining it for all of us. Not a specific race or minority.

I personally witness a group of young individuals during the coho run this past season that weren't FNs, poaching wilds in the river... I mean, slicing off the adipose fin to look like a hatchery, bonking snagged fish, and getting there limit, go back to their vehicle, then limiting out multiple times in a single day.

Does anyone know if this "food permit" is a fact?If so,I'll personally confront these individuals about their actions and
report them to the proper authorities.Would the fisheries office have any info on this?I feel like I need to do something.It just disturbs me so much it's unreal!

At this point guys without going into any details, all the above issues are being work on with the right people & thru the right channels..... hopefully we can have some positive results.....I will keep u up-date when I can ......

That kind of sounds familiar...like something Stephen Harper would say. Can't give any details, but just trust me... why can't details be released? The people who are apparently working on this are supposed to be representing all rec anglers yet nothing can be said?!?! Sounds fishy, pardon the pun. Where's the transparency? And don't say it could compromise the process...that's bs.

That kind of sounds familiar...like something Stephen Harper would say. Can't give any details, but just trust me... why can't details be released? The people who are apparently working on this are supposed to be representing all rec anglers yet nothing can be said?!?! Sounds fishy, pardon the pun. Where's the transparency? And don't say it could compromise the process...that's bs.

Are you serious??

Its called SFAB, SVIAC,SFI , BC wildlife federation and many others...That is brutal to post that and think hard before you hit the keyboard... Do you even have a SVIAC membership in your area? You ever go to SFAB meeting? Did you contact your area chair with concerns?

A few of these guys your telling off here work within these groups...

Derby just told you being worked on, and I trust any of these guys. Totally doing it on free time, and to help us out. Conspiracy theory LOLOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
It wasn't meant as any disrespect to those organizations. And yes I am a member of most of them. But anytime there is a problem from a select few on this forum you hear "people are working on it behind the scenes" and 98% of the time jack all gets fixed or done about the issue. Whenever any scrutiny of certain members or sfab occurs...same line. Every time. I wish I had an app that would allow me to search posts for that line or something similar. Just saying. Flame away...

Back