Cowichan river

Nice steelhead green today,but after the rain they're calling for,it'll be blown out again in no time.Oh well. Keeps the
FN from putting up any gill nets.lol

nicely done video but a bit blown away that these guys would not only net but bring across the gunnel of a boat what sure looks like wild fish, get hero shots, then post the vid on a public forum. In some places, that vid would be Exhibit A with a citation and a fine

So I gotta ask, is that a common way of handling C&R fish on Van Isle streams? Wouldn't most guys see the adipose fin and flick out the hook while the fish is alongside the boat? I'm curious is all. Not trying to start a shiat-storm-- I would have thought that would be the normal way of handling nates in this day and age especially when they're in fire-truck mode getting ready to spawn

Yes very common on the island to net a steelhead for C&R as it the fast rushing waters especially on the Cowichan, it can be very dangerous to try and tail a fish over the side of a drift in fast currents. Still think its safer for the fish than coasting it up on the rocks or sand to release it.

I fished the Stamp many times, and we used to net all fish and bring them into the boat so the hook could be removed safely and the fish released as quickly as possible. It was common practice. But in recent years and having read up on how endangered our wild Steelhead stocks are, I don't think it would be unreasonable or unsafe for the anglers to keep the wild ones in the water prior to release. If you are anchored up, and worried about leaning too far, use a gaff release. Just because it is common practice does not mean it has to continue, there is always a better way to do things.

Great video though, thanks for sharing.

Yes very common on the island to net a steelhead for C&R as it the fast rushing waters especially on the Cowichan, it can be very dangerous to try and tail a fish over the side of a drift in fast currents. Still think its safer for the fish than coasting it up on the rocks or sand to release it.

The safest for the fish is leaving it in the water. When bank fishing, and the chances are pretty good you are going to get into some wild Steelhead, make sure you choose an area that will allow you to safely release a fish, that does not, I agree, include rocks or sand. Also, waders are a must so you can release in water that is at least knee deep. Even releasing in shallow water can cause damage.

Going to hit the river at some point tomorrow with spey rod , but if i get lucky and get a fish to hand and take a hero shot i will not post it. Even if i don't i am going to have a good day

The fish in these videos may have swam away but chances are died.

I'm all for proper fish handling... Let's get serious though, these fish in the video didn't die. If they did, then clearly we shouldn't be allowed to fish anymore at all.

I'm all for proper fish handling... Let's get serious though, these fish in the video didn't die. If they did, then clearly we shouldn't be allowed to fish anymore at all.

Hi Hambone,

We don't know that they didn't die. With all the protective slime wiped off, they are susceptible to bacteria which leads to infection, which could happen down the road, two weeks, two months we don't know. If we don't know something, it is reasonable to err on the side of caution.

I have caught a few steelhead in my time and once in a while like to snap a quick photo. I have done the chasing of to hot fish in knee deep water to try and tail it, sometimes they come straight to hand but not always. Alone I have played fish out and left them subdued in a few inches of water so I can get a picture to have the fish start flopping around and realizing that a couple inches of water is no protection from the rocks so I avoid those. We used a c/r net , 2 fish were taken out in the water one on my lap and the last on a rubber matt and fish were not overplayed. I do have some concern about protective slime and c/r nets but it works and fish usually calm down once cradled. I also think one of the hero shots with the two of us was a little too much, so lesson learned. My daughter ( one of my fishing buddies) was so excited that her dad was on a video and posted it on the forum . Anyways flyrod is ready and the river is calling.

BGM, I understand the need to talk about fish handling so that everyone can improve and so that we can call do our part to reduce harming wild fish.
My issue is that compared to 90% of the anglers I see, these guys did a pretty good job of releasing their fish. Could it have been better? Sure. But they had a C&R net, no wool glove to hold the fish and all but one fish spent very little time out of the water.

Anyways... I don't really want to get involved anymore than I have. Good luck today KCW

I agree, better to focus on the positives!

It is better to play a fish quickly, net or cradle it, then release it. Then it is to tire it out completely and tail it in the water. Gloves of any kind should not be worn when handling wild fish that are to be released. Also, a guest hugging a fish, seen here in the picture, is completely wrong. The guide taking the picture should be ashamed.

Attachments

• 1658699_10152167706639518_878274480_o 2.jpg
    1658699_10152167706639518_878274480_o 2.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 191
Oh by the way there is a petition that was started by Mr D. Gunn of River Quest to get the Hatchery program started up again.. This would be a good thing as then us guys can have our so called HERO shots.. At least someone is doing something positive !!

Oh by the way there is a petition that was started by Mr D. Gunn of River Quest to get the Hatchery program started up again.. This would be a good thing as then us guys can have our so called HERO shots.. At least someone is doing something positive !!

I'd rather the money go to rebuilding and protecting wild stocks for the long term. Hatcheries are a short sighted bandaid solution, popular amongst the "me, now", generation. Do we really wan't our rivers to share the same fate as the Stamp.

Back