Cowichan river

I was up on the river on April 27th, 8 days ago, and fished for 3 hours. It was a miserable day of weather, very much like winter steelheading. Cold with rain. I wanted to get some pictures of my new reel with some trout in the picture. I landed 5 rainbows, lost 2 and lost a big brown.
The brown was pushing 4 lbs and about 22" long. I played it for around 20 minutes and the hook finally pulled out as I was trying to get it into the net. When I'm planning to release a fish I play it a little harder than I do if I plan to keep it. Here are a few pictures from the day.

Apr207th2011001.jpg

Apr207th2011002.jpg

Apr207th2011004.jpg

Nice trout
Are you allowed to keep any trout? If so, how many per day and is there a slot limit?
Are you using nymphs out there?
You fishing by Spring Pool?

Last edited by a moderator:
I only fished the Spring Pool. There were steelhead kelts in the lower part of the pool but I did not target them. I was dead drifting nymphs. The most productive nymph was a dark mayfly nymph with rubber legs. Remember that it is not legal to use float indicators in a fly fishing only section. Presentation is everything.

Beautiful specimen. I've seen some local builds that are inspired by Stan's work which is why I asked. I don't see many Bogdans on the local rivers.

I don't think that there are too many Bogdan's around the Island. They are pretty rare. Island Outfitters had 2 used ones for sale this past winter and that's how I got mine. Now that Stan is dead there won't be any new ones made.

my bro-in-law will be in town next weekend and is dying to float the cowichan...any recommendations for a guide to take us down and approx. cost?
Thanks

Back