Cowichan River

Never fails to amaze me with DFO and there openings! Any time a river shows a few fish in it they open it for retention. This river needs all the help it can get but yet opened for coho after the lower river has been closed for months.[xx(]

I couldn't agree more... there's already enough people ripping their "Cowichan Jigs" through there as it is. If there's a river on the Island that should be totally catch and release it's the Cowie. It think DFO feels that their jobs will be easier once there are no salmon or steelhead to worry about.

anyone fished the cowie since the opening on the 16? I tried on saturday, but was a complete waste of time, river was running way to fast, fished from skutz falls to stoltz pool, but like i said was ripping pretty good through there, any spots fishable? be fishng there all this weekend, only catch and release though, cowichan river needs the fish more then myself

Nitnat_junkie

High water, starting to clear but still too dirty. Tons of chum from Sandy pool on down, saw one coho in the upper sections.

most fish are in pretty rough shape but it looked there was a couple of pseudo-fresh fish below the HWY.

Try colorado blades under a float - the chum will hammer that setup should improve your odds in the muddy water.

hey poppa is sandy pool up by stoltz pool? sounds really familiar just cant think of where its at, been a while, gonna try fishing the cowie this weekend, gonna try that setup to , thanks alot [^]

Nitnat_junkie

hey poppa is sandy pool up by stoltz pool? sounds really familiar just cant think of where its at, been a while, gonna try fishing the cowie this weekend, gonna try that setup to , thanks alot [^]

Nitnat_junkie

I fished for a bit on Sunday afternoon. Water level was high but lots of fish around. Had a blast just watching all the bird life. That river really is something else to see. Talked with a gent in his 60s walking his dog. He was telling me all about fishing the Coichan for Steelhead in the glory days. Also told me he used to catch 50 lb springs of Skinner point in a row boat way back when. Said it only took 8-10 years for the seiners to wipe them all out. Pretty sad.

Back