Cowichan River Browns

Scott2010

What is the retention law for them right now.The regs make no mention of no retention, although I think that's the general rule up there.

Cheers, Scott

Yes.......

From the reg book....

NEW WILD TROUT RELEASE
ALL STREAMS REGULATION
Newly introduced for 2011-13 is a region
wide regulation requiring the release of
all wild origin trout in streams. This regulation allows only hatchery origin trout in
streams to be harvested, except where
prohibited by water specific regulation.
In Region 1, stream hatchery origin trout
can be distinguished from wild origin
trout by the presence of a healed scar
in place of the adipose fin. Please note,
this regulation does not apply to lakes.
For more information please contact
regional fisheries staff at (250) 751-3100

youre full of it, ive been flyfishing the Cowichan for 48 years, thats the only trout in there in the summer months and theyre great sport on fly, another know nothing

Actually they were introduced in the 30's in order to provide you with a summer fishing opportunity....maybe look it up before calling someone else a "know nothing" lol

Haha I love guys that hurl insults knowing nothing of what they are talking about. Look it up before you make yourself look silly there Lakeside6... Ahh the internet

Don't get me wrong I don't kill 'em and waste 'em I eat 'em!

They're good but Rainbows are better.

Guys: please sign this petition to get governments off their asses and ensure better operation of the weir. The Cowichan needs water for any fish to survive - esp. the Chinook.

http://www.onecowichan.ca

From the reg book....

NEW WILD TROUT RELEASE
ALL STREAMS REGULATION
Newly introduced for 2011-13 is a region
wide regulation requiring the release of
all wild origin trout in streams. This regulation allows only hatchery origin trout in
streams to be harvested, except where
prohibited by water specific regulation.
In Region 1, stream hatchery origin trout
can be distinguished from wild origin
trout by the presence of a healed scar
in place of the adipose fin. Please note,
this regulation does not apply to lakes.
For more information please contact
regional fisheries staff at (250) 751-3100

Correct me if im wrong.. but aren't browns a char? making them not subject to release?

Not too sure about that.... Char are genus Salvelinus which includes Brook, Bulls, Dollys, lakers... Bows and cutties are genus Oncorhynchus which I read to be pacific trout (loosly, and includes salmon) Brown trout are genus Salmo which basically means Atlantic origins and includes Atlantic salmon... Which aint a char ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
They're an invasive species-a cousin of Atlantic Salmon-kill them all.
They are not an invasive species the way yellow perch, carp, and atlantic salmon. There was a gov't program awhile ago to introduce brown trout to three (at least) rivers. After funding was cut, browns dissapeared from all but the cowichan. Don't kill them for no reason; they are not disrupting the ecosystem.

Brown Trout were introduced to the Cowichan long before most of us were born. They have co-existed with all the native species there for a long time. It is not the Browns that has led to the demise of the Cowichan salmon stocks. It is many other factors. They are a true trout, and a valuable sport fish, and besides all char must be released on the island as well. The only true char we have on the island is Dolly Varden, and maybe a few brook trout here and there. If you want to start killing non-native species, start with bass, they have been illegally introduced in more lakes than any other alien fish here on the island and are an eyesore compared to any trout species. If Browns were so invasive that would be all you would catch on that river which is not the case. Do some research before you make uneducated posts assuming things that are not true.

Brown Trout were introduced to the Cowichan long before most of us were born. They have co-existed with all the native species there for a long time. It is not the Browns that has led to the demise of the Cowichan salmon stocks. It is many other factors. They are a true trout, and a valuable sport fish, and besides all char must be released on the island as well. The only true char we have on the island is Dolly Varden, and maybe a few brook trout here and there. If you want to start killing non-native species, start with bass, they have been illegally introduced in more lakes than any other alien fish here on the island and are an eyesore compared to any trout species. If Browns were so invasive that would be all you would catch on that river which is not the case. Do some research before you make uneducated posts assuming things that are not true.
Well put. Though I do think the invasive species to target is the carp. Much more destructive than the bass

Yes, I know what I was saying, I was responding to your insult towards dogbreath: "You're full of it" referring to Brown trout being an invasive species. Well, they were introduced here, and since there is no current stocking program and they are reproducing in a non native stream, then they are an invasive species technically. It doesn't matter how they were introduced, and just because you have fished for them for 48 years doesn't mean that they are a native species. Calling someone a "know nothing" for offering an opinion (that happens to be true), is very unhelpful to this forum. Maybe clarify your cryptic posts if you feel like you are being misunderstood.

Oh, and how was I concurring with you? Your statement was : "youre full of it, ive been flyfishing the Cowichan for 48 years, thats the only trout in there in the summer months and theyre great sport on fly, another know nothing" I pointed out that they were introduced, you did not mention that in your post. By the way, I have no objection to these fish being in the river, as others have pointed out, they are likely not a major factor in the decline of the salmon and steelhead. I don't think we should "Kill em all." But they are an invasive non-native species. Whether they were introduced by "some guy" or the government is immaterial.

Just my opinion, you don't have to agree, but please don't call people names. It doesn't add anything to the discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think brown trout should be restocked in lakes and rivers there allready in (browns and Atlantics)were put in almost every river on the east coast of Vancouver island in the late 30s ,the Atlantics did not make it but the browns can still be found in the eve,lil q and cowie if they were such a problem they would have allready taken over.. They are just another fish for us to catch bring on the fun

Mmmmmmmmmm.....Brown Trout!!!
imagehandler.ashx

Back