Cowichan lake

That sounds like you had a real good time out there Owen. I'm heading up that way in about a weeks time to do some cutty fishing. How deep were you fishing? and were you using plugs? or bait?....Steve.

Good to know Owen Thanks, I hope they're still biting when I get up trhere. Will be fishing the creek mouths mostly with plugs as well. Last year was real good as most everyone I went up with caught fish. Any tips from anyone would be muchly appreciated..... thanks Steve.

Try fishing the ashbernum creek mouth and the one thats acroos from it on the other side of the little bay. troll the little bay that there in with 3 inch tomics down deep 30-50 feet but what out by ashburnum theres a ledge and it comes up to around 30 feet but get as close as you can to it and after a few tacks you will find it. Hope to that help you out a little but. Goodluck!

Thanks Owen, That helped a lot. I will give that a go and let you know how we make out. Leaving Wednesday hope we have good weather.

Fished the far end of the lake on Thursday. Got a couple of small cutties around 45 centimeters. Fished around ashbernum creek and Gordon Bay area for most of the weekend as it is just to much traveling time and too much gas to get to the other end every day. We ended with a total of 7 cutties in our boat, largest was 59 centimeters. Fished mostly 3 and 4 inch plugs. The sounder showed tons of fish near all the creek mouths but I think they were all Chum Salmon. I think they are Chum because we caught one trolling.... the Chum was bright red with a very big hooked nose(male) released beside the boat. Lots of rain one day and very cold most of the time. Between you and me.... I think I like Salmon fishing more....lol.

That would have probably been a coho

Red Chum? Might have been a Coho as I don't think chum go red they have dark bars on there side when they show there fall colour.
chum_colors.jpg

It looked more alien then a Coho...lol. Hard to say what it was but did manage a picture if I can get the pic off my phone in the next day or two I will post a pic for you. Its not a great picture, kind of dark but might be able to see what it is.

I'd suggest that what you caught was actually a big Dolly Varden. I've caught them in Lake Cowichan over 7 lbs and the spawning males are bright red and orange with a huge kype (hooked nose).

If not, then most likely a Coho. I don't believe many chum make it over Skutz Falls.

CP

Bright red and in the lake this time of year is a coho. Chum have no need to travel that far up. Tomatoes ( as we call them are all over the place right now.)

Yup... tomate'ho

That is an obnoxious hook :D

..I like surprise fish.. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back