Cowichan Lake??

I'm leaving tomorrow and will be staying at the south end of the lake at Lakeview campground until Sunday. I've got lots of plugs and a few spoons to try. I'm hoping to catch a few cutties, going to fish near Gordon Bay and Goat Island as well as give the narrows a try on Friday. Saturday I was thinking about running down to the far end and fish Shaw and Nixon if I don't find them at the south end. Will let you know how I make out when I get back.... Steve.

And remember....Keep your tip up!!!
fish.gif

good luck out there sea ranger, hope the weather is descent for you, supposed to have a couple days of nice weather [8D], tight lines

Going fishin!!!</u>

Something tells me that it will be raining a bit up there this weekend. Most of the time will be spent in the boat with a good canopy and a small heater to help stay warm. The soup will be hot and the beer will be cold and lets hope the fishing will be good. I get to try out my new fly reel too. Leave work in about 3 hours, Load up the food, hitch up the boat and go.

fish.gif

we used to always fish structure, creekmouths,points, dropoffs,logbooms,beachs etc. Usally shaw /nixon area. Have caught some big fish in Gordon bay and the fish hang out under peoples wharfs in honeymoon bay. Back in the 80's we used to see a couple older guys always trolling [red boat] in the middle of the lake, never tied it.Fly fishing can be good , but the fish can be picky.Nothing like it casting to 5lb fish you can see go after your fly, most of the time they swim the other way.

Wow, what a weekend. Not a lot of fish were caught . I knew of two derbies so out of about 50 guys in 2 derbies only 7 fish were weighted in. I caught one cuttie on Friday and that was it for me. Fished south end Friday, north end Saturday and south end Sunday till noon. Weather was good right up to Sunday then it just rained and rained and rained. Need to water proof the canopy....lol. Heard that the lure of choice was a white plug. I threw everything at them but just couldn't get them to bite my hook. So that does it for me...... I'm going winter spring fishing next. See you out there..... Steve.

fish.gif

Thanks for the update sea ranger! I was curious how you made out..

We fished 3 days on the weekend and got a total of 14 fish. 6 over 50 cm's, with all of the 50+ ones being released. For us the white plug didn't do to well.

Long live wild salmon!!!

You did real good Whole in the water, I don't know where you were fishing and with what gear but you did better then 50 other guys fishing the lake. Were you in one of the derbies or were you just out fishing? I think we would have done better if we had stayed at the south end of the lake. Again.... good job mate!!

fish.gif

Wow..... good for you! I only know of a few guys including yours truly ;) who can hit numbers like that on Cowichan lake. Well done. Like I have said in the past, once you find a pattern, she can be very consistent for you.

HL

I fished w/ WITW last weekend. Two of those fish were over 60 cm as well.

We pulled plugs all weekend - 2 stacked on each d/r. Caught one fish on top, however, and that was our private Derby winner - 64 cm on the tape measure then back in the water.

The 3" 800 caught the most fish and depths were anywhere from 17'-37' for the most part.

We enjoyed fishing in relative seclusion all weekend and would like to keep it that way for the future, so will leave location alone.

Best tip I can give is "ground and pound - stick and stay." You have to put in the time and work very hard to get these fish so bring a case of Lucky and a couple of doobie's and hammer away.

No we weren't in any derby. We were using a variety of 3-4 inch plugs like 231, 243 and 800 fishing between 20-60 feet. By the sounds of it I guess we just lucked out and found some hungry fish.

Long live wild salmon!!!

quote:Originally posted by JuandeOne

We pulled plugs all weekend - 2 stacked on each d/r. Caught one fish on top, however, and that was our private Derby winner - 64 cm on the tape measure then back in the water.

The 3" 800 caught the most fish and depths were anywhere from 17'-37' for the most part.

We enjoyed fishing in relative seclusion all weekend and would like to keep it that way for the future, so will leave location alone.

Best tip I can give is "ground and pound - stick and stay." You have to put in the time and work very hard to get these fish so bring a case of Lucky and a couple of doobie's and hammer away.

So your best fishing tip to others is to get stoned and drunk and hammer away?

Priceless

quote:Originally posted by ChromeSweetChrome

quote:Originally posted by JuandeOne

So your best fishing tip to others is to get stoned and drunk and hammer away?

Priceless

"Best tip I can give is "ground and pound - stick and stay.""

Learn to read you clown and quit wasting everyone's time.

Its part of the same paragraph chump. My bad, I didnt know it was legal to drink 12 beer and get stoned while boating. Let me guess, a taxi picks you up at the dock when you guys are done fishing?

quote:Originally posted by ChromeSweetChrome

Its part of the same paragraph chump. My bad, I didnt know it was legal to drink 12 beer and get stoned while boating. Let me guess, a taxi picks you up at the dock when you guys are done fishing?

FYI Clown, the boat operator doesn't participate. Now GFY!!

I was out last weekend(saturday) and thought fishing was pretty good. We won what was probably the smaller of the two derbies. We watched boat after boat running west and we caught all of our fish east of the narrows. No oversize for us, but hooked 13 fish the biggest was 50cm. I use only tomic plugs mostly 4" and I do not use downriggers. Get out there the fish are feeding shallow, we are fishing for trout here save your downriggers for the chuck unless times are desparate!

Back