Cowichan Conspiracy

Can't say I'm privy to all the facts, but, it is rumoured the crofton mill uses Lake Cowichan as its water supply. Too bad the fish always get the 'back seat' to community demands...and they were here first!?!

Yes, it's true. The mill has a pumphouse on the Cowie AND controls the weir at the lake. The mill also allows Crofton to use part of their intake water for the town usage.
However the mill does 'conspire' with the local municipalities, Indian bands, fisheries and clubs as well as the Government to at least be conscious of the impact on salmon. I know for a fact that the Mill's Union PPWC local 2 is involved in the lake/river levels as well, thru the mill's workers and the union executive.
So all this is just for your information so the statement of, "The mill is raping the land and killing salmon!" doesn't really hold water.
pun intended.

Well put Eric , since the weir control efforts to ensure that there is sufficient water held back for spawning purposes is one of the cardinal points of both Union and management for the mill complex.
From the early months of the year right into the summer and further the rainfall and lake levels are monitored closely to ensure both water supply for residents of North Cowichan and areas is sufficient and that the strategic hold back of water will enable all users (fish included)to achieve their aims.
And conversely the flows can be adjusted to try and stop catastrophic run offs from heavier than anticipated deluges such as we are getting hit with right now.
I would state here that there is more damage done to the river system from the tubers who float down the system and rain garbage everywhere in the waters and on the banks.
Its easy to target industrial complexes without any homework on the reasons behind their use of natural resources but in this case the doom and gloom naysayers missed the mark completely , try phoning the mills environmental manager and contact the Unions environmental committee's before painting everyone with the dirty brush.

AL

Al, you're bang on!

The mill has been very accommodating with regards to water needs for fish which have reached crisis levels by October in recent years, even coming withing a week of shutting down mill operations (at a huge daily cost to the mill & its employees)in 2004.

I could be wrong, but I beleive the mill is also a $$ contributing partner on the clay bank stabilization program that is underway.

The bigger issues for fish on the Cowichan is lack of water in the late summer and autumn, particularly as it realtes to Chinook migration in to the river.

Rumor has it, that a plan is in the works to raise the Cowichan weir by 18 in or so to enable more water to be stored to facilitate increased flows during critical times for fish. This is a good plan that will work IMHO.

The only challenge will be from waterfront landowners on the Lake who don't want their beaches shrunk for the sake of a few damn salmon. Their potential to derail this program shouldn't be underestimated - those who own summer homes with waterfront on Lake Cowichan can be politically connected, or so I've heard.

Anyway, if you hear about this program - support it! Sign petitions, heck, START petitions!

It'll help the fish - all of them.

GB

Why does it seem like the last few responses were made by mill workers or at least local forestry workers.....have you read a few of Forbes posts??? he worked in the industry for years!!!!...figure it out...enuf said do your homework....p.s. i worked in the industry for 6 years ...never again....

Never worked a day in the forestry or mill business in my life. I actually make my living from the avails of sportfishing!

One other thing, perhaps its time you did a little homework before mouthing off there Mouthhouse. Check it out, its important to know who your friends in the Valley actually are before you turn them into enemies.

Trying to get your issues focussed rather than just spouting a bunch of negative BS may also help.

In the spirit of "one good slag deserves another"...

Gooey;)

Wasn't referring to you goo....and didn't slag anyone .....know who my friends are...and sure don't need anymore fishin buddies..lol...3rd gen of a flyfishin family on the cow....fun to see the pot get stirred tho...haha...fish on boys..

Sorry...forgot one thing...dams or "weirs" hurt rivers...and i did a little homework on that one, but I guess if the mill employs a couple hundred people and helps to keep the local timber industry healthy its well worth it on one of the worlds most beautiful rivers??[xx(]

One of my favourite posts in ages...lol..just to add to the "conspiracy theory" haha....."Most of the lakes are on private land that was given to the original owners back in the E&N land grant days. The company was given the land in exchange for keeping a viable railway running. Of course the the railway company never did live up to its end of the bargain. The same happened in the CNR and CPR land grants.

The land is all private and so are the roads crossing the private land to the timber leases on public land beyond.

Of course our governments (all of them from Socreds to NDP and now the Liberals) have been paid off politically for years to let the companies get away with just about any destruction they want."....fishbc.com..lol

Look a little closer...not my post...I just cut and pasted it from fish B.C. lol....knew it would stir the conspiracy theory pot tho!!And yah I think your right it is all privately owned or leased to the forestry companies?

How 'bout dealing with reality Mouth, and not worrying about conspiricies?

Fact: The Cowichan already has a weir on it and is isn't going away. Why not use it to help the fish?

Fact: Most of the land surrounding the Lake had has the crap logged out of it. No water storage in the tribs means you need it in the lake. The only way to increase water storage capacity in the Lake is to raise the weir. The river needs increased flows in late summer and autumn to maximize its salmonid poroduction potential.

Fact: Private land is private land and the rules associated with its use are different than public land. Would you like the government to be able to tell you exactly what you can and can't do on your private land? Perhaps the extent of the grant provided manhy years ago seems excessive now, but again, we can't change the past so why waste time worrying about it?

Mouthy one..

I'm not trying to dis you in any way, and I respect your attempts at providing controversy, but why not deal with the art of the possible, rather than just banging your head against a wall you ain't gonna move?

Gooey Bob.

How 'bout dealing with reality Mouth, and not worrying about conspiricies?

Fact: The Cowichan already has a weir on it and is isn't going away. Why not use it to help the fish?

Fact: Most of the land surrounding the Lake had has the crap logged out of it. No water storage in the tribs means you need it in the lake. The only way to increase water storage capacity in the Lake is to raise the weir. The river needs increased flows in late summer and autumn to maximize its salmonid poroduction potential.

Fact: Private land is private land and the rules associated with its use are different than public land. Would you like the government to be able to tell you exactly what you can and can't do on your private land? Perhaps the extent of the grant provided manhy years ago seems excessive now, but again, we can't change the past so why waste time worrying about it?

Mouthy one..

I'm not trying to dis you in any way, and I respect your attempts at providing controversy, but why not deal with the art of the possible, rather than just banging your head against a wall you ain't gonna move?

Gooey Bob.

Not to add to the mud slinging, but 2 items:

1. Does anybody know when the Crofton Mill first built the weir and tapped into the Cowichan? I think it predates our (current) fishery problems.

2. CVRD will be presenting the Cowichan Basin Water Management Plan on January 22 in Lake Cowichan, 23rd at the Silver Bridge Inn in Duncan, and on the 23rd in Youbou. Open house 4:30-7:00, presentation and discussion, 7-9:00.
Reportedly the proposals will include raising the weir.

Get informed and get active, but don't **** on the members of this board in your discussion.

Not to add to the mud slinging, but 2 items:

1. Does anybody know when the Crofton Mill first built the weir and tapped into the Cowichan? I think it predates our (current) fishery problems.

2. CVRD will be presenting the Cowichan Basin Water Management Plan on January 22 in Lake Cowichan, 23rd at the Silver Bridge Inn in Duncan, and on the 23rd in Youbou. Open house 4:30-7:00, presentation and discussion, 7-9:00.
Reportedly the proposals will include raising the weir.

Get informed and get active, but don't **** on the members of this board in your discussion.

The weir was started in 1957 , 1 year after the start up of the first Kraft pulp machine.
When I demobilized from the Army in 1964 I went to work on construction upgrades to the pipeline from Cliffs Rd in Duncan , they were installing the varied stages of mesh screening so that fry and other water borne creatures would not be pulled in to the intakes by the pump house.
AL

The weir was started in 1957 , 1 year after the start up of the first Kraft pulp machine.
When I demobilized from the Army in 1964 I went to work on construction upgrades to the pipeline from Cliffs Rd in Duncan , they were installing the varied stages of mesh screening so that fry and other water borne creatures would not be pulled in to the intakes by the pump house.
AL

Gooey-bum...I didn't start this thread....and how did you know I liked banging my head against walls????....by the way I believe it's way too late to do F-all about the conditions of our rivers....the damage is done haven't seen more than a handful of steel in the Koksilah and 20 years ago it was rare for me to go a day without catching one.....thats a fact....anyhow I'm done stirring the pot' thx for your constructive contribution....fish on ladies and gents. Mouthfull of flies out.

Back