Court ruling could impact local fishery

tigerprawn

Regional director Mike Hicks is concerned for salmon fishery.

By Pirjo Raits - Sooke News Mirror
Published: February 15, 2012 5:00 AM

A ruling by the federal Court of Appeal could have mammoth ramifications for the Sooke and the Juan de Fuca says Mike Hicks, regional director for the Juan de Fuca Electoral Area.

On February 9, a precedent-setting ruling, stipulates that the federal government is legally bound to protect the killer whale habitat in both the southern straits as well as the northern straits.

“The environmental groups have been fighting with DFO (Dept. of Fisheries and Oceans) over protection of Southern Vancouver Island orcas and they won their case,” said a distressed Hicks. With the forced protection of the orcas’ habitat Hicks fears a loss of fishing for chinook salmon. The chinook are part of the orca’s diet.

“DFO might be looking at some scary regulations,” said Hicks. “They could shut down the chinook fishery on the Juan de Fuca Strait or whale watching boats.”

He said, here you have DFO pulling the plug on the dam on DeMamiel Creek knowingly sacrificing the habitat of the Juan de Fuca orcas’ food source.

“Sooke and Southern Vancouver Island residents are happy to help the orcas, but they are concerned they are shouldering 100 per cent of the pain,” said Hicks, in reference to the impact it would make on local recreation fishers and the work being done by salmon enhancement groups. He said that in Sooke from spring to mid-July chinook fishing is restricted to protect the early Fraser River chinook run.

He also wondered what the allocation would be for the recreational fishery.

“These are confusing times,” said Hicks. “Sooke people really need to monitor this. The court decision ito protect the habitat of the Southern Vancouver Island orca, their diet is chinook salmon. I’m happy for the orcas but concerned for the Average Joe in Sooke.”

Hicks said he wasn’t running around saying the “sky is falling” but if they come in with severe restrictions it will have an impact.

“I’m not trying to alarm residents but to make them aware of a major, major court decision. Be watchful,” said Hicks.

He reiterated that DFO should not be pulling the plug on the Bill James dam on DeMamiel Creek because now they have to protect the habitat of the salmon which are necessary for the orcas.

Adam Silverstein, South Coast Area Chief, Ecosystems Management Branch Fisheries and Oceans Canada, Pacific Region stated in an email to Glen Varney, who represents various stakeholders, that the Department (in regard to the dam) has offered to transfer the license and the associated maintenance responsibilities to any interested community partner.

The federal court action was brought about by a coalition of nine environmental groups under the banner of Ecojustice.

On the website, they state that their “victory” draws a legal line in the sand and has given them a powerful legal tool they are prepared to use if necessary.

This does not look good for the upcoming Chinook season.
I can't imagine the far reaching impacts if DFO decide to close it down.
The Sooke and Renfrew economies will be screwed.

Ya, will be interesting to see how this all unfolds. Given DFO's past I'm not overly-confident they will be making decisions that are in the best interest of BC/Canada. If they hadn't allowed overfishing/pollution/industry/etc to deplete salmon and orca stocks to the levels they are now at we wouldn't have this situation in the first place. I firmly believe that we do need much more stringent conservation policies in place in order to re-establish strong and sustainable fisheries for all species and it's unfortunate that we are now in a situation where restrictions on fishing are going to severely hurt certain local communities/regions.

I think a total ban on commercial fishing is in order. They can take more fish in a day than recreational fishermen take in a year.

Remember, a camel the result of what happens when a group tries to draw a horse while trying to please everyone.

This does not look good for the upcoming Chinook season.
I can't imagine the far reaching impacts if DFO decide to close it down.
The Sooke and Renfrew economies will be screwed.

I think it reaches a lot farther then that.
All the way up to Port Hardy or more as fish have fins and they can swim.
GLG

I think a total ban on commercial fishing is in order. They can take more fish in a day than recreational fishermen take in a year.

Might want to do just a little homework before spouting about what you don't know b55. For the past couple of years, the Recreational Harvest of Springs has FAR surpassed that of Area G Troll (WCVI). IF we're looking to throttle back or ban the largest impact group, it is obvious where the cuts must come from...

Cheers,
Nog

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it reaches a lot farther then that.
All the way up to Port Hardy or more as fish have fins and they can swim.
GLG

I think the southern resident pods are the species of concern.
Not sure if they go that far north ? :confused:

Agreed we are looking at the food (springs) that the southern resident pods are eating.
My point was we need to look at where these fish have been intersepted.
If thier (orcas) food is Fraser River Chinnok, then we will be looking at the whole migration route of this stock.
Including where the smolts go and where the adults return from.
Do the smolts pass a fish farm? Are they damaging this stock?
Do sports up in the QCI catch these fish?
How about the guys fishing Campbell River / Comox, do we tag them too?
I'm no expert but it's hard to get exact info from the internet and DFO, PSC websites.
I do know that this is going to be very complex and a simple closure down JDF way is not the answer.
If you have one of those Salmon Head Recovery Program Reports from a head you turned in you can see the percentage of Fraser fish that the other areas harvest.
For example the 2009 report I'm looking at says Area 13 thru 16 in June 43% lower Fraser watershed.
That means 43% of the coded wire tag heads in that area were fraser river fish.

Don't get me wrong I'm not likening the idea of a catch and release or a ban on fishing.
Just saying we better look a little farther out then JDF.
GLG

Bill James Dam

I would like to know if DFO can destroy public property with out a public hearing on it?

The fight has just started

Agreed we are looking at the food (springs) that the southern resident pods are eating.
My point was we need to look at where these fish have been intersepted.
If thier (orcas) food is Fraser River Chinnok, then we will be looking at the whole migration route of this stock.
Including where the smolts go and where the adults return from.
Do the smolts pass a fish farm? Are they damaging this stock?
Do sports up in the QCI catch these fish?
How about the guys fishing Campbell River / Comox, do we tag them too?
I'm no expert but it's hard to get exact info from the internet and DFO, PSC websites.
I do know that this is going to be very complex and a simple closure down JDF way is not the answer.
If you have one of those Salmon Head Recovery Program Reports from a head you turned in you can see the percentage of Fraser fish that the other areas harvest.
For example the 2009 report I'm looking at says Area 13 thru 16 in June 43% lower Fraser watershed.
That means 43% of the coded wire tag heads in that area were fraser river fish.

Don't get me wrong I'm not likening the idea of a catch and release or a ban on fishing.
Just saying we better look a little farther out then JDF.
GLG

I agree with GLG about the complexity of salmon migration, interception, and escapement issues. A blanket closure of JDF would be assinine and simplistic. In reality it is going to take DFO 6 months just to digest the ruling and then another year or two to make any changes to the sportfishing regulations, if any. Alongside all this we have the Cohen Commission report, the Northern gateway pipeline, the run-of-the-river power projects etc.etc. Enough to keep the legislators busy for a decade figuring out what is all means for Orca habitat protection and plenty of time for us to write dozens of letters to our MP's and MLA's and send money to protest organisations of our choice!

remember since statistics began the chinnooks that orcas ate came under % off high seas loss .... in all catch statistics its factored in allready!!!!!!!!!they are fish that just dissapeared?

Back