Court quashes government PRV fish farm policy

Carful what you wish for. While some will be blindly excited of this news others will look very closely at this development and wonder: What could this mean for Canadian hatchery enhancement programs that are releasing cultured fry and smolts into the environment?

Birdsnest is correct.
This as noted in the article is here.
So, if the federal hatcherys get it from using wild stock, what then?
No hatchery fish, no fishing?

We don't run from our fears, we meet them head on and conquer them.
Well at least that is what my dad taught me, not sure about you fellas.

Birdsnest is correct.
This as noted in the article is here.
So, if the federal hatcherys get it from using wild stock, what then?
No hatchery fish, no fishing?

So let me get this straight.
Fish Farms bring disease, it spreads to our some of our wild stock but we should continue to allow Fish Farms to spread this disease unabated because some of our hatchery fish might have the same disease.
Solution, turn a blind eye to it all and hope for the best??

The court ruling stated that PRV is a highly infectious virus, first discovered in Norway in 2010. It is now also present in waters off the U.K., Ireland, Chile, the U.S. and Canada. It is found in B.C. in both wild and farmed salmon.

The court ruling stated that PRV is a highly infectious virus, first discovered in Norway in 2010. It is now also present in waters off the U.K., Ireland, Chile, the U.S. and Canada. It is found in B.C. in both wild and farmed salmon.

The important thing to remember, is this virus was brought to the West Coast by Fish Farms and Fish Farms are and continue to be the main source for spreading the disease.
Thank goodness for Alexandra Morton and our courts cause DFO have willingly turned a blind eye to the disease for years!

Lets not do the fish farm thing again.
What is the Fish Farm thing? The courts have ruled and what it really says is that similar to when they knew about tainted blood they did not act, harming a lot of people and here in the case of PRV they knew since at least 2000 and did not act harming a lot of Wild Salmon. Shame!

Organic my man.
As much as possible anyways

how does that have anything to do with cows or dairy cows being vaccinated? You cant raise organic beef without them being vaccinated in canada, its illegal.

how does that have anything to do with cows or dairy cows being vaccinated? You cant raise organic beef without them being vaccinated in canada, its illegal.
Fair enough. I happen to think farmed salmon is gross. Just an opinion though

So let me get this straight.
Fish Farms bring disease, it spreads to our some of our wild stock but we should continue to allow Fish Farms to spread this disease unabated because some of our hatchery fish might have the same disease.
Solution, turn a blind eye to it all and hope for the best??

Ok this is where activism starts causing harm. First off the origin of BC PRV in not certain however it is apparent that NGO group are eager(fighting tooth blood and nail) to make that connection because it suits their cause and follows the narrative of big bad business which is always a big sell to some individuals.

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/science/aah-saa/species-especes/aq-health-sante/prv-rp-eng.html

"Genomic sequencing of PRV from BC has revealed some genetic differences when compared to PRV from other regions (Kibenge et al. 2013). Based on an analysis of these genetic differences, these authors proposed that PRV first arrived in BC from Norway sometime around 2007. However, recent testing of archived samples held by DFO has revealed that PRV has been present in salmonids on the Pacific coast of North America for a much longer time than reported in that paper (Marty et al. 2015; Siah et al. 2015)."

Fogged in is playing fast and loose with the term disease and the presence of a virus. It is important to grasp what the difference is here. I doubt I have to explain it again. Ill take vaccinated food over antibiotics use always.

The problem with the precautionary approach, WMY is there are no guidelines that clarify what that means so its just a term that gets tossed around by both ends of the issue. Should be interesting to see what they do but I maintain this could have huge implications to hatchery programs despite NGO's method of looking at the issue through a tube.

Most ENGO's want hatchery shut down, So Im sure if it has implications for transferring smolts to net pens all the better for them.

Will have to see if DFO adds PRV to their list of virus to screen for or if they are just going to limit it to FF transfer licences. From what I have read FF have been testing for PRV before they transfer for the last few year now.

Courts are always funny in how and when they decide to apply the PP. For example break dust is one of the most harmful things to spawning salmon. Yet guaranteed they will always allow runoff from streets to flow into rivers.

This was pretty easy for them, Just test before you transfer, this is a win for wild salmon

Most ENGO's want hatchery shut down, So Im sure if it has implications for transferring smolts to net pens all the better for them.

Will have to see if DFO adds PRV to their list of virus to screen for or if they are just going to limit it to FF transfer licences. From what I have read FF have been testing for PRV before they transfer for the last few year now.

Courts are always funny in how and when they decide to apply the PP. For example break dust is one of the most harmful things to spawning salmon. Yet guaranteed they will always allow runoff from streets to flow into rivers.

This was pretty easy for them, Just test before you transfer

Testing before they transfer is meaningless really. They are going to pick up the virus anyways. I think more work has to be done on the effects of prv all around. A better understanding of the effects of the presence of the virus at both ends of the issue is the only way to effectively apply the Precautionary Approach. Otherwise the precautionary approach has no limits in other areas of our everyday lives and other important industries.

Testing before they transfer is meaningless really. They are going to pick up the virus anyways. I think more work has to be done on the effects of prv all around. A better understanding of the effects of the presence of the virus at both ends of the issue is the only way to effectively apply the Precautionary Approach. Otherwise the precautionary approach has no limits in other areas of our everyday lives and other important industries.

ITs not meaningless, their is European version of PRV out their on the east coast, West coast fish farms get their smolts from the east coast and I think that pretty stupid of them. They should of put their hatcheries that serve the west coast on the west coast and use brood from the west coast.

Back