Couple of questions about your rigs.

Fisher_dude

Crew Member
First off, what are you guys using for tackle boxes. Im sick of having a big bulky tackle box cramping up my space on the boat. Now that the floor and panneling is getting redone, I figured that I could build some custom tackle storage lockers that use the plano hard cases. Just looking for some pics of what you are doing in your boat for some ideas. Second of all, how are you running your fuel for your kicker? I want to plumb in a line for my kicker into my main fuel tank but have heard some stories from guys saying that it doesnt work very well. Im tired of having to fill up my kicker tank and carry it around with me. Im going to redo all my fuel lines anyway so now would be a good time to get it figured out.

I use the small Plano boxes for tackle. Most fuel filter assembly's have 2 inlet and 2 outlets Plum your kicker to the 2nd outlet and put in a primer bulb.

I'm trying this out this year
image.jpg

But I really like this
image.jpg

X2 on Jacs suggestion. Plumb another line into fuel h20 separator.

For the lures and teaser heads we use a lot, they are not in a box at all. There are strips of high density closed cell foam screwed with washers to each side wall of the cabin. We hang them by the hook from them. Not my idea as that is how the former guide owner set it up. Seems to work and I don’t like wet gear going back in a closed space.

As for gas supply for the kicker to main tank. Both the main outboard and the full remote kicker have their own separate gas supply fuel line right into the tank. Their independent fuel lines each go to their own gas line cut off lever valve, then to their own Racor filter/water separator, then to their own fuel line hand squeeze pump bulb and then to the respective motors. In the case of the remote 9.9 yam kicker, the plug in fuel connector on the motor cowling/case was removed and the large single fuel line enters the cowling/case and is plumbed directly to the kicker fuel supply side with a connector and hose clamps. We do not have problems with either motor not getting the fuel it needs. You can start and run both motors at the same time and it does not matter what order you start them in. They are plumbed to a large 80 gal long flat Al fuel tank under the floor down the center line of the boat. The tank is well vented with a large vent hose (don’t recall the diameter) to the outside of the hull to let air in as the gas is sucked out of the tank without causing resistance to the fuel pump of the smaller kicker competing with the much stronger fuel pump on the 225 if for some reason you may have them both running at the same time.

It is a rather cool system and there is a stainless cross connector rod that permanently connects the kicker steering to the main outboard, that is itself connected to duel helm hydraulic steering. The cross tie rod goes up and down with the kicker and does not have to be disconnected when doing so. When you go off plane where you want to fish, you can lower the kicker and start it, put it in gear and turn off the main all in a few seconds and all without leaving the helm seat. It is just as fast and easy in reverse when you are ready to go in or move location quickly to take advantage of a bite that has come on somewhere else. In some circumstances the faster you can do things the better your success rate.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw that tilt out one and thats the way im going to do it. Those ones from the boat outfitters place are CRAZY expensive. I just picked up an all aluminium travel trailer storage access door for $20 and im going to build it into the rear of my boat.

As for the fuel lines...... im not even sure i have a fuel filter/water separator in the system right now. I just assumed there was one in but now that I have torn everything apart, I do not recall seeing one. Would that be due to the fact that im still running a 2 stroke motor? You would think that there would be one inline somewhere cause fuel is fuel. And with it being an aluminium fuel tank, condensation should come into play at some point. Ill have to take a closer look up under the bilge area and make sure.

2 stroke or 4 stroke it does not matter. You will have much more reliable and longer lasting motors with the Racor and a much safer boat with the fuel cut off valve and reliable motors. Also get the expensive all stainless hose clamps with two screws. Standing on top of all that gas is scary enough, even with a good fuel supply system.

Back