Constance for Winters?

RogersonCrusoe

Hi guys,

I'm heading out with a friend tomorrow, leaving from Oak Bay. Is it worth making the run out to Constance for winters? I've never fished there, so if it is worth it, any guidance is welcome :)

Winds and tides looks good, but haven't heard much from the "regulars" of notable catches.

Thanks!

I think there's been some decent fish around the Esquimalt harbour & Albert Head lately. Can't go wrong with Constance for winters though.

Was out at Conny a few days ago in a buddies boat. Lots of action and larger fish on average than a few weeks back. We hooked up our share of 5 and 6 lbers with some smaller ones mixed in. I much prefer fresh to freezer salmon and find I am keeping and freezing less in the summer because of access to this great high quality winters fishery. Had one heavy pin popper but lost it and never got a look at it, but it was a bigger Chinook. That day plastic was really out fishing the spoons and the double sided glow chartreuse flasher with a glow and UV hootchie was by far the hottest combo for us. One single hook is all you need and makes for easy releases. Watch your sounder a lot on the pinnacles and stay close to the bottom, - within 10 feet. We were trolling fast so keep the boat speed up.

Last edited:
Was out at Conny a few days ago in a buddies boat. Lots of action and larger fish on average than a few weeks back. We hooked up our share of 5 and 6 lbers with some smaller ones mixed in. I much prefer fresh to freezer salmon and find I am keeping and freezing less in the summer because of access to this great high quality winters fishery. Had one heavy pin popper but lost it and never got a look at it, but it was a bigger Chinook. That day plastic was really out fishing the spoons and the double sided glow chartreuse flasher with a glow and UV hootchie was by far the hottest combo for us. One single hook is all you need and makes for easy releases. Watch your sounder a lot on the pinnacles and stay close to the bottom, - within 10 feet. We were trolling fast so keep the boat speed up.
Thanks - very helpful. I only use single hook hoochies - summer or winter. Have had too many trailer hooks in the hand ;)
Would you recommend fishing right at the top of the bank?

We were fishing mostly a little west and sometimes a little north of the freighter anchorage but they are all over the bank. 75 to 100 feet of water was working well for us but they are also deeper. On one of the good weather days there will be about 3 to 7 boats out there and you will see where they are fishing. A lot of them are local regulars so they generally are on the fish. Sometimes the fishing is better in the pm and often most or all of the boats have left by then. Yea with plastic, I always fish a single hook commercial style, with a small swivel directly attached to the hook. It is easier on the fish, easier release and better holding with less getting off. PS I see you have a Glassply, so do I, a model 2200. I keep my boat on land in the winter but fish Sooke in the summer. In the winter I fish on friends boats and take them out in the summer. Send me a private message with your ph. # if you want to trade off sometime. I always like to meet new fishermen.

Last edited:
Back