Constance Bank Fishing Tips

TelStar26

A couple fish crazy relatives of mine are coming to the island this weekend for a fishing trip with me. I usully stick close to sooke. But this time, were looking for an adventure. Weather permittting, were planning to head out to constance. Does anybody have a rough estimate on the time to get there from sooke? Ill be doing about 12 knots =( Iv only fished there once, when I was about 8 or 10, And dont remember a thing. When searching constance on this site, I read about guys catching salmon there as well as hali. We will be targeting hali's. But if the current and tides dont cooperate we'll try for salmon. Never Really fishing there befor Im not sure what areas to fish. Is there any thing perticulal About this place I should know about?

Thanks for any tips or info guys!

And one more thing... My boat came with an old chart. I was looking iver it last night, and there is three hali spots marked on it fo hali! two right at constance, and one closer to race rocks. Would you guys reccomend I ancour at one and sit there all day, Or Move around every couple hours?

Thanks again guys

I've picked up some halibut trolling the east side at 140-160' on Salmon gear.
Suggest anchoring would be more productive on the west side...
Look for pinnacles, depressions on your chart.
I'm guessing it's about a 10- mile run from Pedder.

fearnofishy-1-1.jpg

I would really suggest trying Jordan River or the flats off the Sooke Bluffs before I poke all the way to Constance. Constance bank is a mean, nasty place to fish if you don't know how. You will leave all of your gear on the bottom if you are drifting around, that I will pretty much guarantee. Salmon fishing is usually a winter thing around there, I don't know if there would be much in the way of feeders right now.

Sooke has good salmon fishing right now, as well as halibut fisheries on the flats from the Bluffs, Jordon River and Sombrio Point.

If you have never anchored in deep water, I suggest don't unless you get a proper anchor setup with a float, and slider. Don't just chuck the hook over the bow!

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

Strong ebb with decent swell made for interesting surf this past weekend out there. All in about 2 minutes. It's not far to get out of it but just the same it was a little butt clenching even in a 26 footer

Tried dropping the trolling gear there on Sat a.m...
wondering why no boats fishing ??
ebb was so hard , downrigger wire crossed over the fins on the motor
and had a nice cluster **** .

4 knots in neutral. [xx(]

fearnofishy-1-1.jpg

ok, Thank guys. Ive spent the last year fishing off sooke for hali. Iv given up! Everyone seems to be catching them but me. I was going to head to JR, But after talking to a guide at my dock, He suggested constance. Hes been doing it since I was ****ting yellow, So Im going with his suggestion. Plus I have acuired 5 differnt coordinates for hali off constants. I do have the proper anchor gear with the float and slider. Im using the same setup as one of the guides from trotack. So Im feeling pretty confident, Thanks again for the tips guys!
I was wondering.... If im fishing on one of these spots this weekend. How long would you give it befor you would switch to another spot? Any special bait that works magic out there? I figure, As long as its fresh, and changed every 15 to 30 minutes, It shouldnt matter. But it doesnt hurt to ask about unfamilular fishing water!

Back