Considering next boat options

Erickpay

Hey all,

I'm looking at options for my next boat. I've been running a modified 17' fish/ski I/O bowrider for lake bass and have just started using it for inshore salmon trolling. Needless to say, this isn't an ideal platform for either lake or salt fishing. I'd like my next rig to be friendly for skinny water bass as well as handle nice days for salmon/lingcod/halibut. I've been considering a Whaler Montauk in the 17-20' range, but haven't had a chance to be in one.

Thoughts?

Lots of guys use them for Salmon and Lingcod. They move really good if they have the right power and deal well with chop. Wicked fishing platform my buddy put a T-Top on his Dauntless 180.

If you are going for halibut, or take the ladies or kids out, I personally would want a boat with a top and enclosed top or cabin style boat. We went out in good condition and ended up getting soaked to our underwear on Sunday and the only thing that saved us was going in the cabin to warm up. My buddy's hands were so cold he couldn't switch out a lure. I'm sure lots of guys go for halibut but they likely wear floater suits/jackets and are tougher than me as I move well into middle age. Boston Whaler Ventura and Conquest might give better weather protection?

Lots of guys use them for Salmon and Lingcod. They move really good if they have the right power and deal well with chop. Wicked fishing platform my buddy put a T-Top on his Dauntless 180.

If you are going for halibut, or take the ladies or kids out, I personally would want a boat with a top and enclosed top or cabin style boat. We went out in good condition and ended up getting soaked to our underwear on Sunday and the only thing that saved us was going in the cabin to warm up. My buddy's hands were so cold he couldn't switch out a lure. I'm sure lots of guys go for halibut but they likely wear floater suits/jackets and are tougher than me as I move well into middle age. Boston Whaler Ventura and Conquest might give better weather protection?
Thanks for the input Kaelc! The open platform would certainly be on the cool side at times. If I go with a Montauk or the like, I've been thinking of adding this kind of canvas.

Attachments

• 2.4_Whalesback_CICADA.jpg
    2.4_Whalesback_CICADA.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 68
I would not go with that style of boat up here . Relying on canvas to stay warm and dry isn’t great. I would go with something with a hard top and solid windows personally.
I hear you, Thunder. If I could have two boats I’d get a Striper for salt and a bass boat for lake. Can only have one for now, and I don’t know of a hard top that would work for bass in skinny water.

I had a hewes craft 18" sportsman. It is an awesome fishing boat. It can handle rough water fairly safely. It pounds a bit is the downfall. In fiberglass I'd go double eagle. Both with raised soft tops.

I had a hewes craft 18" sportsman. It is an awesome fishing boat. It can handle rough water fairly safely. It pounds a bit is the downfall. In fiberglass I'd go double eagle. Both with raised soft tops.
I hear you, Thunder. If I could have two boats I’d get a Striper for salt and a bass boat for lake. Can only have one for now, and I don’t know of a hard top that would work for bass in skinny water.
Not sure how to "bass in skinny water" but if you send me a video of good looking women doing it on youtube I am willing to learn.

Hewescraft often has a walk-through front windshield and a nice bow rail for fishing from the front. I remember trying to bring a 100lb halibut in over the bow, it wasn't a good idea but might work for bass?

I have never regretted buying my 20ft Alumaweld with a full stand-up soft top. Sure, its better suited for inside waters because it rides rougher than a glass boat. HOWEVER , as a fishing platform I love it. I remember my fishing partners comment the first time we got inside of an Alumaweld at the dealers in Oregon.. "MIGAWD ! Look at the dance floor ! Its as big as a Grady !.

I have never regretted buying my 20ft Alumaweld with a full stand-up soft top. Sure, its better suited for inside waters because it rides rougher than a glass boat. HOWEVER , as a fishing platform I love it. I remember my fishing partners comment the first time we got inside of an Alumaweld at the dealers in Oregon.. "MIGAWD ! Look at the dance floor ! Its as big as a Grady !.
How deep does that alumaweld draft? That kind of platform might work.

Hey all,

I'm looking at options for my next boat. I've been running a modified 17' fish/ski I/O bowrider for lake bass and have just started using it for inshore salmon trolling. Needless to say, this isn't an ideal platform for either lake or salt fishing. I'd like my next rig to be friendly for skinny water bass as well as handle nice days for salmon/lingcod/halibut. I've been considering a Whaler Montauk in the 17-20' range, but haven't had a chance to be in one.

Thoughts?
I have run a 17 fr Montauk with a Yamaha 115 for the last two years on the Westcoast of Vancouver Island off Nootka . Great boat, there is a cool little canvas Bimini you can get that makes a huge difference but it is still an open boat. I would take it miles offshore in the winter swells and be completely comfortable.

I have run a 17 fr Montauk with a Yamaha 115 for the last two years on the Westcoast of Vancouver Island off Nootka . Great boat, there is a cool little canvas Bimini you can get that makes a huge difference but it is still an open boat. I would take it miles offshore in the winter swells and be completely comfortable.
That sounds great! Ever use it shallow water, or with a bow electric motor?

Shallow water, absolutely. Electric bow motors aren’t really a thing in salt water, no real need . You aren’t casting into a weed bed for the most part.
I’ve heard of some guys using the electric trolling motors instead of anchoring for halibut!

Back